Talk

Advanced search

Worried about my little one

(13 Posts)
Stanyer21 Wed 18-Jan-17 21:35:16

My son is 18 months and had never ever been right. As a newborn he used to scream constantly and we were told he had silent reflux so since them he has been on lanzoperozole and ranitidine. Anyway he srill aways screamed so they then moved him on to a dairy free diet. From being 6 weeks old I would say he never goes an hour without having a meltdown (not a tantrum) he is totally inconsolable and nothing I do will comfort him. I have been taking him to groups 2 to 3 times a week from being around 12 weeks and he srill hates them and won't settle. He just hates everything and everyone and no one can talk to him. When I'm in the house just me and him he is like a different baby. He's happy and content . He will sit playing with little blocks ( all the same shape with a letter on ) for hours doing the same thing with them. Nursery rhymes on you tube is my way of calming him. He has never ate food either as he hates textures he will only eat hula hoops nothing else and he has never ever slept . I'm worried there is something more to it

Phillpot12 Wed 18-Jan-17 21:40:20

Have you raised this with a GP or health visitor etc? I don't wan to start diagnosing on here but that sounds quite extreme behaviour ciupled with dietary issues.

SaltyMyDear Wed 18-Jan-17 21:44:18

Sorry you're going through this, it sounds really tough.

Lots of red flags for autism there. Unfortunately I think you need to ask the GP to refer you.

albertcampionscat Wed 18-Jan-17 22:11:51

Does he point at things to draw your attention to them?

Stanyer21 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:38:39

No he doesn't point to anything

Phillpot12 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:43:01

Rushed post earlier....How about eye contact? Instigate interaction? This sounds really tough for you as a parent. There are several indicators mentioned that really need to be looked in to by a professional and you can therefore get done support too.

Stanyer21 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:57:41

He seems to give eye contact and he will bring my his box to take the lid of etc but that's it he plays happily with his stuff on his own. I just really feel for him as he is so distressed all the time I want him to be happy. I had speech and language out with him not eating and she said he had some sensory issues going on and is referring him for a hearing test I had a sleep therapist out yesterday to but she didn't really say much xx

Phillpot12 Wed 18-Jan-17 23:05:27

Sensory difficulties would affect food and social activities as it just too much stimulation for them to cope wit hand just feel over loaded. I would speak to GP then potentially/hopefully a referral to paediatrician. I'm not keen on lots of labels but sounds quite aspergers/autistic spectrum due to sensory and solitary play etc.

Stanyer21 Wed 18-Jan-17 23:17:51

I'm already under a paeditrician for his reflux. Sometimes I wonder if he even has reflux and dairy issues or if it's just all to do with something else. Will I be able to see the same paeditrician and mention it then or will I have to go back to my gp for a new referral

SaltyMyDear Thu 19-Jan-17 01:01:17

Ask your GP. My DS had to be referred to a 'child development paediatrician ' which wasn't the normal paediatrician

Stanyer21 Thu 19-Jan-17 08:10:44

OK thanks for all your help. Sometimes I keep thinking do I just have a twisty baby and he will grow out of it 😢

BarbarianMum Fri 20-Jan-17 21:20:03

I'd second the suggestion of having a developmental paced have a look at him. Remember though, all children develop. Whether there is something "more" going on with your son or not, he will change and learn and adapt and become better at coping with the big, wide world - and you'll be right there to help him do it. smile

Stanyer21 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:58:29

Aww thanks everyone. I have 2 people coming out 1st Feb to see him and see if he needs a referral. I have also priced an occupational therapist private as did read the younger you help them the better it is for there brains

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now