Talk

Advanced search

3 year olds and puzzles

(8 Posts)
Purplebluebird Tue 17-Jan-17 17:52:17

Hi!
Simple question really, how many pieces puzzles should I expect of my almost 3 year old to solve? He can do up to 35 pieces on his own with puzzles we have, but I'm not sure how far to stretch it. He does not struggle with it. Should I try to give him one with 50 pieces? smile What did/does your child like?

Sorry if daft question, first time mum!

Tanito279 Tue 17-Jan-17 17:54:39

DD(3) does 52 piece jigsaws on her own and 100 pieces with me. They've improved her concentration massively!

Rachie1986 Tue 17-Jan-17 17:55:56

Well my 3 year old is obviously rather behind...

Purplebluebird Tue 17-Jan-17 19:58:30

Tanito that sounds really good! My little one has better concentration from it too.

Rachie I don't think it's a case of being behind - it's more what their interests are I think! My little one couldn't be bothered to even do a 2 piece puzzle, until he suddenly was very interested a few months ago.

KW89 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:45:51

My three year old loves puzzles, he can complete 49 piece puzzles independently, and will have a good go at 100 pieces, though normally loses concentration or asks for my help before he gets to the end!

Purplebluebird Wed 18-Jan-17 08:56:28

KW89 That's great! I think we will give the 50 piece ones a go smile

MiaowTheCat Wed 18-Jan-17 13:26:26

(She's an old 3 year old if that clarifies things a bit - nearer her 4th birthday than 3rd)

Can quite confidently do 36 piece ones even without the picture to guide her if they're of something she's interested in (sodding Paw Patrol), can have a decent stab at more complicated ones but often needs an adult to help her do them the first time around and remind her to look at the box for help.

DD1 wasn't fussed about jigsaws at all until her younger sister was being quite good at them when sibling competitiveness kicked in a bit.

Purplebluebird Wed 18-Jan-17 13:48:08

That's great Miaow smile My son needs some help the first time on a new puzzle, but after that he's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now