Talk

Advanced search

When do they start being "boys" and "girls" as opposed to just babies?

(13 Posts)
littlelapin Fri 23-Feb-07 12:49:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PinkTulips Fri 23-Feb-07 12:56:15

both mine have always been very boy/girl.

both have had comments from 1 week old along the lines of 'well you wouldn't mistake him for a girl' and vice versa.

ds especially is a chubby little bruiser and hasn't got a delicate bone in his body! he's such a little man!

dd has always been a bit of a tomboy (like her mommy) but loves her hair being done and pretty dresses even though she's just 2, lol

littlelapin Fri 23-Feb-07 13:00:25

Hulababy Fri 23-Feb-07 13:01:09

DD has always been a girl TBH. She was small and petite most of her baby months, and from fairly early on gravitated towards more girl-prientated toys and activities given the choice.

Hulababy Fri 23-Feb-07 13:03:00

littlelapin - love the knicker photo! And yes, he is definitely a boy, a lovely one at that

pinktulips - that coat is fab! Lovely photos

Weegle Fri 23-Feb-07 13:30:58

There is no doubting DS (8.5m) is a boy. He is big and looks like a boy but apart from that he smacks toys on the floor, growls when grumpy, and has a clear destructive streak (as well as being adorably cute and mischievous). When we meet up with our NCT group there is a definite boy/girl divide in behaviour already - it doesn't cease to amaze me that they are already so clearly defined.

KathyMCMLXXII Fri 23-Feb-07 13:33:52

When dd was about a month old I put her in a dress for the first time, and suddenly, there was a girl!
It completely changed the way I related to her. Freaks me out, this! I make sure she wears about half and half girls' and boys' clothes usually because I don't want to stereotype her either way.

Wallace Fri 23-Feb-07 13:46:13

I would love to put a dress on my very boysome 7 month old ds, just to see if he suddenly looked girly

KathyMCMLXXII Fri 23-Feb-07 13:49:43

Do it, Wallace!

PrettyCandles Fri 23-Feb-07 13:54:08

My ds1 and dd were the exact opposite of littlelapin's: ds1 more measured, examined things, careful, curious; dd running, jumping, bashin, mouthing toys, noisy - actually they were both noisy.

I have tried putting ds1 in girl's clothes, and he looks like a girl with short hair. Put dd in boy's clothes (which happens quite often in any case) and hide her long hair and she looks like a boy. I think that until they approach puberty they are pretty much androgynous. Think how many beautiful little boys there are, with long dark eyelashes and rosy lips - it's only the clothing that really tells you that they are boys.

Once they start mixing with other children, then I think they start picking up gender-specific behaviours. Dd is still aa tomboy, but now she is a pink, fluffy, frock-wearing tomboy!

Wallace Fri 23-Feb-07 14:02:06

lol just remembered he goes to bed everynight in his big sister's old pink babygrows and sleepingbag

Still might try a dress one day...

PinkTulips Fri 23-Feb-07 14:39:42

lol littlelapin... he really is a little man your guy... especialy that photo of him with the thong in his mouth, pmsl

very handsome little guy though

littlelapin Fri 23-Feb-07 15:48:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now