Talk

Advanced search

2.5 yo suddenly stammering

(13 Posts)
SleepymrsE Sat 14-Jan-17 22:04:17

DS 2.5 years old is a very good talker (full conversations) and has been for a while. However in the last week he has started to stammer. Usually the first word of his sentence, and often W's is really difficult for him to get out. It's been really bad today and it broke my heart when he started to get upset and said he couldn't talk after struggling to say something.

I've said to DH I'll give it a little bit longer and then I will give HV a ring to see what they have to say but wondered if anyone else had been through this? Did it get better on its own? For info DD was born 3 months ago so not sure if that's had anything to do with it.

annandale Sat 14-Jan-17 22:09:00

It's almost certainly not a problem, but IMO take a recording and refer yourself to speech and language therapy locally (google 'speech and language therapy' and your county). It almost certainly will be something they will grow out of, but in the very unlikely event of this not being the case, getting onto it early is important. I wouldn't be surprised if you were right that the changes in their life are having a bit of an effect. Have a look at this page on Talking Point - just slow things right down in conversation.

ACubed Sat 14-Jan-17 22:11:12

This is quite common with this age - their thoughts are moving a bit too fasts for their mouths and they get a bit stuck, but yes do speak to you're GP or Hv just to put your mind at rest

missmapp Sat 14-Jan-17 22:12:33

Ds1 did this. The hv said it was common at that age as their brains work faster than tneipy can form the words. They are learning so many new words that they can't firm them quickly enough so can stammer. I can't remember how long the stammer lasted but it had completely gone when he started school . He is now eleven and talks far too much !

SleepymrsE Sat 14-Jan-17 22:14:54

Many thanks annandale, I will have a look at our local speech & language therapy unit and see if I can self refer. I will speak to nursery on Monday too to see what they say. It's come on so suddenly which is what has taken me by surprise.

CheerfullyIndifferent Sat 14-Jan-17 22:15:17

We did, around that age too. Brilliant talker, started all of a sudden. We have a drop in speech therapy clinic nearby so we took her there, the therapist told us it was very common at that age, as speech can't keep up with the brain speed. She told us to give it 3 months and come back if she was still stammering but it would most likely resolve on its own - and it did. She recommended the website www.stammering.org, have a look.

If it worries you, I really recommend looking into speech therapist services in your area to at least have him assessed. They will give you the right advice to help him.

polkadotdelight Sat 14-Jan-17 22:18:02

I've noticed DS (similar age) does this when he is excited or really cross. It's not been enough to worry me as I assumed brain faster than mouth but it's certainly something I am keeping an eye on.

fishtankbrain Sat 14-Jan-17 22:18:04

We had this with DS. Also a good talker, suddenly stammering out of nowhere. It came and went for a few months when he was 2 and then disappeared completely. He's now nearly 6, no hint of any speech issues. Was worrying at the time, but I think the previous posters were right - their mouths just struggle to keep up with their brains at certain developmental points.

SleepymrsE Sat 14-Jan-17 22:18:52

ACubed and missmapp that's what DH said about his brain working faster than his mouth. He's said we mustn't make a big deal of it, which I'm trying not to but am already finding myself finishing his sentence which is probably one of the worst things I can do. Glad to hear your DS grew out of it missmapp.

happymumof4crazykids Sat 14-Jan-17 22:21:26

My daughter did the same at around the same age! I was worried but it went after about 6 weeks. She struggled with I and stuttered every time she tried to start a sentence with it. She hasn't had a problem since then but had a huge increase in vocabulary so I think she was just processing all her new words.

SleepymrsE Sat 14-Jan-17 22:24:13

Thank you everyone. It sounds like it's more common than I thought. None of my friends children have done it which is why I was more worried. Think I will have a look at speech therapy referral, see what nursery think and maybe give the HV a ring, even if only to put my mind at rest. Hopefully it will right itself soon.

gingerpusscat Wed 18-Jan-17 09:10:45

We had this for several months, DS is now 2.8 months and it's almost entirely gone. He's incredibly chatty and vocally quite...passionate! He would struggle with his entire little body to get the words out. Now he just seems now to have 'caught up' with himself.

SleepymrsE Tue 07-Feb-17 19:01:16

Just an update in case anyone does a search. After about a month of stammering, DS's speech has suddenly got better. Barely any sign of any stutter/stammer now. I did put in a referral to speech & language team straight after I posted although still to hear anything back from them. I suspect it was a developmental leap as his language skills have rocketed once more. Thank you for all those who posted replying to my original message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now