Talk

Advanced search

What age did you transition from cot to bed?

(17 Posts)
Shootingstar2289 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:23:20

Hi, my dd is 18 months and still sleeping happily in her cot.

My ds (age 5) was in a toddler bed at 13 months. This was because he absolutely hated his cot and he loved the bed.

As my daughter is happy in her cot I have no intention of moving her into a bed. However, a friend told me I should be thinking about a bed to get her used to it? But is there such a rush if she's happy in the cot? Although she generally sleeps well, I'd imagine she might try and get out a bed a few times lol.

Advice?

NuffSaidSam Sat 14-Jan-17 21:37:00

Leave her in a cot for as long as she's happy, fits in there and isn't climbing out.

fionnthedog Sat 14-Jan-17 22:44:20

DS moved at 2.5 but only because he moved rooms and it seemed to be a good time to do it. I have friends whose kids are still in cots close to 3. As pp said if your DD fits in the cot and isn't trying to climb out then there's no rush!

Xmasbaby11 Sat 14-Jan-17 22:51:02

Dd is 3. She just moved into bunkbed. She was perfectly happy in the cot.

Wheelycote Sat 14-Jan-17 22:57:26

The minute it looked like they were going to climb. Age varied between the two

JennyOnAPlate Sat 14-Jan-17 22:58:05

2.5 for both my dc.

Crumbs1 Sat 14-Jan-17 23:33:01

Mine were all different. 1st never went in a cot (big mistake, we indulged her sleeplessness and had to battle her into a bed at 2.5 years). 2nd stayed a cot until needed for 3rd at 22 months (had a sort of net bed side).
Third stayed in cot until nearly 4 because he liked it and we couldn't be bothered to battle.
Twins (4th and 5th) shared a cot until around 20 months but got too big so moved to shared bed until about 6 when they wanted their own bed.
Sixth had a cot until about 3 when we remembered to buy her a bed.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 15-Jan-17 01:06:44

2.5yo is still in a cot. Sleeps really well at the moment so I am firmly 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Will probably need the cot for up coming DC2 in about 8-9months so sometime before then he'll get moved.

Tabitha1983 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:02:48

Nearly 3 year old still in cot bed here! Sleeps 12 hours, goes to bed well and never attempted to climb out 😊 Guess I need to tackle the bed tho!....just don't want the hassle! And I like knowing she is safe in her cot x

Tabitha1983 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:06:50

Interestingly has anybody transitioned from cot to a double bed? I do have a cotbed (sides still up) but would ideally like a double bed in her room (so can use for guests when DD sleeps at nanas!)

Shootingstar2289 Tue 17-Jan-17 15:41:11

Thanks all. I will be leaving her to happily sleep in her cot for a while then! 😀

KW89 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:56:50

22months, and only because we needed the cot for his baby brother, so made the switch about a month before DS2 was born, or I'd have left him in longer!

Yika Tue 17-Jan-17 21:58:38

Around 30 months and only because I'd promised the bed to someone else.

skankingpiglet Wed 18-Jan-17 23:23:00

DD1 was 16mo. She is was a shit sleeper anyway so we had nothing to lose and I really liked the look of the Montessori-style bedrooms. It had a really positive effect on her sleep, and she actually slept through for the first time (she's 2.6yrs now and unfortunately wakes once or twice a night again but that's because DH is in charge of her waking these days and she knows how to work him wink). She moved into a single bed at 26mo when we needed the cot bed back for DD2, and to a midsleeper (same bed as the single, it converts) at 28mo when moved into her new room. She LOVES her bed, and has squealed with delight at each change grin

As it went so well with DD1, I'm very tempted to do similar for DD2 although she's only 7mo so still some months off!

purpleme12 Thu 19-Jan-17 00:12:43

A few months before she turned 3. I could just tell it was time. But I kept her in it I knew it was time to move her

waitingforsomething Thu 19-Jan-17 11:46:38

2 years 5 months for DD but that's only because DS was due in a couple of months and I needed the cot, and wanted her to be settled in a bed by the time he came.
DS will stay in the cot as long as he doesn't climb out and he fits comfortably. I never understand why people take them out otherwise.

BertrandRussell Thu 19-Jan-17 11:48:11

We never had a cot at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now