Talk

Advanced search

Activities for 2 yr old to help with speech non verbal

(7 Posts)
woodwaj Fri 13-Jan-17 23:44:51

Thats just about it really.

He doesn't babble or speak. Struggles with basic commands. Hearing test perfect and on waitlist for speech therapy!

In a bit of a rut and looking for help with games! He is very active and rarely sits still! Hoping for a bit more one 2 one interaction during play but he is very independent!

Prettybaffled Fri 13-Jan-17 23:47:49

Right this was my dc so I know what this is like. Sending you flowers

The best resource we had was the Hanen speech book air takes two to talk which was amazin - lots of ideas for little activities in there, you can buy it cheapest from the wilmslos press. It is always much more on amazon

Prettybaffled Fri 13-Jan-17 23:48:54

It takes two to talk it is called. It goes through each stage of speech development in turn and starts at non verbal

GlitteryFluff Fri 13-Jan-17 23:51:23

Watching..
My 2yo certainly has speech issues, though he isn't non-verbal. Waiting for speech and language therapy.

notgivingin789 Fri 13-Jan-17 23:53:27

I can give you a list, but it would be a long post.

Go on.....

www.teachmetotalk.com

Loads of activities are listed there which encourages speech and language development.

DixieNormas Sat 14-Jan-17 00:00:25

Ds4 didnt speak until 2.8. He had no none verbal communication either

What salt advised was playing with bubbles, balloons.

So we had bubble mixture, said ready steady and waited for him to look at us or some other none verbal acknowledgement before saying blow and blowing the bubbles. Before long we were saying ready steady and he was saying blow

Same with the balloon, ready, steady wait for them to make eye contact etc and then blow.

We did the same with footballs.

Salt isn't all about speech but also none verbal queues, and working on that.

Ds4 does have a DX of asd so eye contact and none verbal communication was something we had to work on as well as getting him to realise that playing games 1:1 was fun.

Bubbles were especially good. He went from none verbal to saying blow to singing pop the bubbles pop pop pop in weeks. But that's quite unusual

woodwaj Sat 14-Jan-17 11:40:08

Thanks all flowers once hes down for the night i will look at the websites and books and we have bubbles/footballs and balloons so thats all things we can work on.

I set up water play this morning with cups and jugs and he thought me blowing bubbles into a cup of water with a straw was fascinating! Anything to keep his focus on us is appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now