Talk

Advanced search

Not walking at 18 months!

(12 Posts)
Shootingstar2289 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:10:37

Hi, my DD is coming up for 18 months and still yet to walk. She crawls, stands, cruises and is a great climber. Before Christmas she seen a doctor when she was poorly. It came up that she wasn't walkin yet and the doctor told me to see a HV in the new year if she hasn't started to walk over Christmas. He doctor said her son was 18 months before he walked too which made me feel a little better.

Getting a HV appointment here is hard. I am going to make an appointment but I'm not going to expect one until next month at least!

Question is, what is the health visitor likely to see/do?

She doesn't speak much but will say a few words and babbles constantly. She is very social, affectionate and her other fine and gross motor skills seem on target.

Advice?

Rabbit01 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:30:57

Hi Shooting Star, If you are worrying why not make an appointment with a Dr and they can check her over. Personally I always go to the Dr rather than worry. Mothers intuition is normally right, but hopefully she is fine. Good luck and let us know xx

Rabbit01 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:32:02

smileIf you see a Health visitor they would refer you to the Dr I think so I would make an appointment there to save time

Sukitakeitoff Wed 11-Jan-17 20:33:29

If it helps, dd2 didn't wall until 21 months. She's now 4 and you'd never know it.

Worth getting her checked out just in case but there's probably nothing to worry about - some kids are just late walkers!

onwego Wed 11-Jan-17 20:44:49

My daughter walked at 20 months - the months between 18 to 20 waiting for her to take her first steps (when all her peers were running) were particularly worrying. She also didn't speak until around the same time. She's now far more articulate than any of us and can run! It's anecdotal so I don't know how much you can take from it, but I wanted to reassure you that it can turn out okay. We didn't see a hv or GP about it.

Choccywokky Wed 11-Jan-17 20:49:55

My DS Is 24 months. Can't walk. Pull himself up. Finds it hard to stand at furniture. He's been referred for a Brain scan. All bloody tests are back normal. It's a worry however I'm sure he will get there.

People don't seem to understand what it's like. They talk about their children recently walking. It's bloody emotionally hard work.

Choccywokky Wed 11-Jan-17 20:52:26

And physically hard work. I'm so sad sad

Choccywokky Wed 11-Jan-17 20:53:12

All bloody tests are back normal*

Choccywokky Wed 11-Jan-17 20:53:42

Blood!!!!!! *

NancyJoan Wed 11-Jan-17 20:54:37

My DS was 18 months before he walked. HV was entirely unhelpful. Turned out several years later that he is hypermobile. Kids withhypermobilty usually walk late, as they are not a strong as others the same age.

CactusFred Wed 11-Jan-17 20:58:16

My DS walked just after 18m.
He was quite lazy and preferred to roll!
Nursery staff told me not to worry as some don't walk until 21/22m.

HeyMicky Wed 11-Jan-17 21:05:54

DD2 didn't walk til 19 months and one week. I can be exact because at 19 months I had an (expensive) private physio appointment to ease my mind and a week later the little bugger for up and toddled off

Like you, DD2 cruised well, climbed fine, walked with a walker and on our fingertips, clambered on and off the sofa, got on and off rockers etc but refused to walk across the room independently

Do get checked out, because it will make you feel better. But odds are your DD will get there in the next month or two.

And I know full well that doesn't help, because I read several threads like this while I was waiting for DD2 to start flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now