Talk

Advanced search

4 year old being a pushover

(5 Posts)
ava2009 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:26:08

I am probably being over sensitive and over thinking this but here goes... my 4 year old daughter seems to be doing anything for 1 of her friends at nursery just so they will stay friends. She tells her if she doesnt do something / give her a toy shes playing with etc then they wont be friends, so she goes along with it.

Im getting quite annoyed but am i being over protective on this one?

booellesmum Tue 10-Jan-17 19:35:23

Things like this will continue to happen all through her life.
As parents we can't sort problems like this when we are not there but it is important to give them the tools to sort problems themselves if they want to.
When mine were small we had lots of bedtime chats about things that had happened. I found it worked if I didn't get cross/ annoyed about stuff but asked them how they felt about it. What they could say/ do differently next time. What may happen. What would be the worst outcome. What they could do then etc etc.
Enough chats like that and they start to figure out what to do by themselves.

booellesmum Tue 10-Jan-17 19:38:17

You are not being over protective.
In another decade it may be so and so won't be my friend if I don't join in with the smoking/ drinking/ drugs.
Learning how to deal with the small stuff helps them learn how to deal with the big stuff later.

ava2009 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:41:40

Thanks for that smile

Im probably being over protective as she's my only child. Its good hearing advice cause i sometimes feel clueless

ava2009 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:44:00

Thanks booellesmum!
Thats a really good point

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now