Talk

Advanced search

toddler breakfast

(13 Posts)
waitingforsomething Sun 08-Jan-17 05:26:44

My 18 month old DS is a bit of a one at breakfast at the moment, although he eats the rest of his meals pretty well and isn't particularly fussy. My biggest problem with him is that he hates milk, doesn't drink it and isn't wild about it in cereal. He also hates cheese and tolerates sweetened yoghurt now and again. Until now I have managed to get away with weetabix as it absorbs all the milk but he's now decided he won't eat this and is causing a scene about it. He will always eat a bit of toast and marmite, so he doesn't go without food but I'm keen to try and sneak some dairy in him as he doesn't have much the rest of the day.

Any ideas for calcium rich breakfasts, or cereals popular with your DCS that might hide the milky taste?

Ginger782 Sun 08-Jan-17 06:19:20

Fruit smoothies? Taste like sweet fruits he likes but you can add milk and/or plain yoghurt to up the calcium?

isthistoonosy Sun 08-Jan-17 06:23:36

Porridge with some fruit in it.
Scrambled egg with cheese mixed in.

Atomium Sun 08-Jan-17 06:24:06

I also have a milk and cheese refusing toddler! Weetabix has been my solution too. Sorry I can't help but it's good to know it's not just DD, she eats well otherwise.

I find filled pasta a good way to sneak cheese into her, but that's not really a help for breakfast.

Shutthatdoor12 Sun 08-Jan-17 06:25:28

Banana on toast
Scrambled egg
Fruity porridge

Is it just cows milk he doesn't like? Have you tried almond milk?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 08-Jan-17 06:33:02

There's an alpro toddler (has a giraffe on the front) which my dd has as too much cows milk gives her diarrhoea. It is much much sweeter than cows milk - not a similar taste at all. If your child is the suspicious type I'd offer that but colour it with a few drops of food colouring first so that it "looks" different to cows milk too

waitingforsomething Sun 08-Jan-17 10:41:19

Thanks for your ideas, I have had trouble with porridge in the past, I think it's too milky. Scrambled egg he often has for lunch but on the days when he doesn't I'll try it for breakfast - haven't thought of banana on toast he'd love that!

I have tried oat milk which he didn't like but yet to try almond milk shutthatdoor does it have calcium in it?
NotWithout thank you for the suggestion of alpro toddler I'll give it a try.

Shutthatdoor12 Sun 08-Jan-17 14:29:58

I'm not sure tbh as we drink cows milk but you could always google it. What about eggy bread that's another good one. Or drop scones/ pancakes depending how much time you have. You can always add fruit etc of your choice

WheresTheEvidence Sun 08-Jan-17 14:42:59

I know you say he has it for lunch but I would make it a breakfast thing if its something he will eat.

Breakfasts we do are - smoothies, pancakes, [[ www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/mini-quiche-muffins.aspx breakfast muffins]], fruit salad, French toast, bread and butter pudding,

I love this website

mscongeniality Sun 08-Jan-17 23:21:38

My DS loves having french toast for breakfast, we add one whole egg and some milk to the mix so its quite filling as well.

BearFoxBear Wed 11-Jan-17 14:30:11

Maybe try Koko milk - my ds has cmpa and he loves this, good calcium levels in it too. It's sweet so I use it to make porridge (add almond butter and chia seeds for extra calcium, ds has this before bed most nights), custard, overnight oats, etc and he likes raisin and apricot wheats (dried fruit is a good calcium source), snack balls made with dates etc.

ElspethFlashman Wed 11-Jan-17 14:35:26

Porridge bars are a big success here. Microwave porridge oats mixed with milk (and some of a fruit pouch if you want, Ellas Kitchen have banana pouches)

Mix into a paste, press into a square container and microwave till solid.

Tip out, cut into squares. Call it banana cake.

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 11-Jan-17 14:38:47

DD eats all her cereal without milk! She eats wheatabix like a biscuit hmm would he go for that?
Porridge she'll have made with milk.
Eggs are an option
Fruit and yogurt
Smoothies
Toast with fruit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now