Talk

Advanced search

Hobbies - AIBU?

(9 Posts)
hert0813 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:47:57

Hi all,

My 10 year old is keen on tennis, has been playing well at school and now wants to go to lessons 2-3 times a week. The tennis club is a good 30 minute drive from home and, given this is potentially a long-term commitment, it feels like too far to drive there and back twice a week, even if tennis is her life's love. AIBU? How far would you travel for a kid's hobby?

Thanks!

HerOtherHalf Sat 07-Jan-17 17:55:05

I would certainly drive 30 minutes for a pursuit I wanted to participate in. If i would do it for myself, it would be incredibly selfish not to do it for one of my kids. That's how I would assess it.

NerrSnerr Sat 07-Jan-17 17:57:02

If it was my child's main hobby I would travel for this. As a child we used to do sport on the other side of the city and it took at least that (longer in rush hour) and I am pleased they made the sacrifice for us.

mytinselsinatangle Sat 07-Jan-17 18:05:29

Do you have other children too? If so would you have to take them each time? That would be the deciding factor for me, assuming cost was not an issue.

hert0813 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:25:19

Thanks, everyone.

I should have added that, with traffic, it may well take up to 45 minutes some days/times to get there. By the time I would get home from the drop off, it will be practically time to turn back again for the pick up! I understand that the lessons are around two hours long....

Maybe it's time for me to take up tennis! hmm

HerOtherHalf Sat 07-Jan-17 18:30:45

maybe it's time for me to take up tennis

A great solution. Aside from resolving some of the logistics by avoiding doing two round trips, having a shared sport or hobby will pay massive dividends down the line.

hert0813 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:43:56

Maybe I can train the 4 year old to be our ballboy. ;)

ByTheSea Sat 07-Jan-17 18:51:56

We moved 30 minutes away 3 1/2 years ago and I go back every week so my DD2, now 14, could continue with her guitar teacher, with whom she had a good rapport. Nowadays, several times a month, I also drive 30 or more minutes to various open mics all over the area so she can perform the songs she writes. She is hoping to get some small festival bookings over the summer so there will be some travel there too. She loves doing it, and is pretty good, so I try to be supportive, it is just what you do as a parent, IMO, encourage and nurture their interests and passions. BTW, DH and I both work FT with a long commute.

BlessThisMess Sat 07-Jan-17 18:52:12

My DD has a horse which is her great love and likely to be her future career. The horse is kept 15-20 min drive away on DIY livery. We spend at least an hour each morning and 2-3 hours each afternoon/evening on horse-related stuff. Yes, it's a pain, but I couldn't not do it as it would break her heart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now