Talk

Advanced search

6 month old has no interest in moving from back

(14 Posts)
Mimicat44 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:10:40

My dd is just over 6 months and while very wriggly (in fact more wriggly than any other baby I've met of the same age?) shows no interest in moving from whatever position she's in, unless it's her front in which case she cries. So she'll happily sit on my lap and swing backwards and forwards vigorously, and kick around while lying on her back, but is not interested in rolling over or trying to get to a toy out of her reach. I do try tummy time but she gets very upset very quickly, and trying to entice her to move by holding a toy is just met with her losing interest and turning away. I wasn't too worried as she engages well with eye contact, responds, laughs etc and seems strong in her posture and limbs but the mum of a baby born the same day as her posted in a messaging group I'm also in saying her ds sits independently, bottom shuffles, rolls around and balances on all fours, trying to crawl. So I'm a little worried now!

SausageSoda Sat 07-Jan-17 15:19:28

I have no advice but will be watching this thread as my 6 month DD is identical to this. Loves sitting on my lap and bouncing over excitedly and likes kicking when on back but zero interest in rolling, hates tummy time and doesn't even like it when I try to get her to lie on her side to try and preempt a roll. Most other babies at her classes seem to be rolling by now.

Mimicat44 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:24:01

Ah well at least that makes two of them, Sausage! I know people say not to worry but it's difficult when all the other babies are doing more! Dd was admitted to the neonatal unit at 5 days old with mild dehydration as I unknowingly had low milk supply and I read something soon after saying that this could lead to developmental delays. It's tortured me ever since so I'm hyper vigilant...

SausageSoda Sat 07-Jan-17 15:28:07

I'm trying not to let myself panic until she hits the 7 month mark at the start of Feb. Fingers crossed January is the month of the roll for both of us!

Mimicat44 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:48:06

Yes, fingers crossed! Hopefully they're just, in the nicest possible way, a bit 'laid back'! smile

tessiebear4 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:35:42

My DC3 didn't roll over until 9 months and 3 days

celeryeater Mon 09-Jan-17 14:30:07

A friend of mine was saying the other day that her now two year old never even rolled until when he was 13 months he started pulling himself up and walking! I know it's hard but they all learn at their own pace and will get there eventually. Try not to worry.

TheTantrumCometh Mon 09-Jan-17 14:37:12

My DD was quick to roll over and to crawl but took an absolute age to learn how to sit up (well over 9 months). Her friend showed no interest in crawling at all, finally got it just after he turned one and then was walking three days later, a good three months before my DD.

There is huge scope for what is normal and what is a potential problem and sometimes it can be difficult to know when to be concerned. But generally speaking, they do things in their own time and unless it is significantly later that their peers don't worry. They do things when they're ready

Justme3 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:31:43

My DD couldn't be bothered to roll and then one day just did. She screamed the house down on her tummy So I didn't bother! Wasn't worth the trauma. To confirm she did roll , crawl and walk!
My friends DS rolled once half way and never again did he roll anywhere. He also crawled and walked
Don't worry they're all different n

AllTheBabies Mon 09-Jan-17 15:39:45

My dd2 was a totally round pudding and didn't roll till she was just over 6 months. But once she did there was no stopping her! She crawled a week later and started walking bang on 9 months. She just turned one and can climb like a monkey and is attempting running.

Mimicat44 Mon 09-Jan-17 16:08:21

Ahh thanks everyone, that is reassuring!

Doodle2907 Mon 09-Jan-17 16:19:03

It's so hard when other babies the same age seem to be able to do so much more. My little one rolled at a normal ish age I think but didn't crawl until 11months and now at almost 18 months is just starting to take independent steps. People are always reassuring but I just think 'that's easy to say when your 1 year old is running around!!' So basically I'm trying to say that I understand what it feels like, and hopefully your little one starts moving a bit more soon, but even if they don't there is light at the end of the tunnel (even if it is an 18 month long tunnel!!!)

Mimicat44 Mon 09-Jan-17 17:32:03

Thanks Doodle!

MoonriseKingdom Mon 09-Jan-17 19:58:53

My DD showed no interest in moving at that age. She only rolled a few times - some babies just don't go through a rolling stage. She started tentatively bottom shuffling at 10 months and finally walking at 16 months. This was within the boundaries of normal but with other people's 1 year olds tottering about on their feet at playgroup I felt anxious. She didn't learn to pull to stand until after she could walk. She certainly hadn't read the development charts! At 2 yrs 3 months now she will walk miles, loves the soft play centre and you wouldn't see any physical difference to her peers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now