Talk

Advanced search

almost 9 yo boy behaviour changes

(11 Posts)
alanabanana85 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:34:56

any help or advice appreciated..

My golden boy is changing.. he is becoming somewhat challenging.. he isn't a bad boy, he is very popular at school, the kids in his class look up to him to see what he is doing, the girls love him (apparently he is the class heart throb lol)
He behaves in class, I see notes in his school diary every once in a while from the teacher with very mild criticism or some notes of encouragement, the worst was "being silly in the school line up"
I cant complain that way.. although at home, he is becoming very moody, wont listen on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd time.. even the 10th time - by this point I am screaming at him and him screaming at me..
Morning times, getting up and out to school are stressful as hell.. but then out of the blue, he will get up 1st shout, make his bed, put out his breakfast and get dressed all by himself.. in which I praise him enthusiastically (*see! how nice was that son? I am very proud of you, how nice was it for us all to get dressed without anyone screaming at each other? he agrees and says he will continue to do so, but... take that with a pinch of salt lol)
He goes in and out of character several times a day.. he is helpful one minute and im pretty sure planning my murder the next lol.
He becomes unreasonable, angry, frustrated, lashes out, tries to get his sister into trouble (she is 4 yo and at the minute, very very sweet and funny) tells tales, exaggerates, falls to the ground like he has just taken a blow to the chest when asked to do something..
I've tried changing my parenting tactics many times, ranging from the obvious - going off like a raving loonatic - to sitting down calmly and chatting to him (the latter usually being after the 1st one has taken place hmm )
he also cant mix with my step siblings kids, my SS has 3 boys all aged 1 year apart, 9,8 & 7 - I know.. shes crazy..
my SB has 1 boy aged 7, when my son is around them he turns into a nutter! he becomes boisterous and cheeky to his elders.
Ive previously stopped him from mixing with them but I dont think this is the answer.. he also doesnt mix well with my friends son, also 8 yo, Im beginning to think that its MY son thats the problem..

Do you think this could be hormonal changes he is going through? He is very tall for his age, and has started to whiff of what he calls "burger pits" grin I have bought him some body spray and aftershave, we manage to keep it at bay, I did think he was a bit young for this to be happening already though..

From one mother to another... HELP!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 18:18:51

They can all be a unpredictable, but the one thing that struck me is that it could be tiredness. What time is bedtime and does he have an hour off electronics before bed? Does he have any electronics in his bedroom?

alanabanana85 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:24:18

he goes to bed at 9pm, falls asleep generally within 15-20 min, doesnt watch tv in bed, not a huge electronics fan, watches tv like the rest of us do.. sometimes I let him read a chapter of his book if he goes to bed nicely & he wants to impress me lol.
Its usually a fight to get him to read his homework book.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 18:27:16

I'd say that was too late. Is he hard to wake up in the morning? My DD is 9 and she goes to bed at 7.15 on a school night, 8 pm if there's no school.

alanabanana85 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:28:03

further to that, I wake him at around 7.45am for school.
If i leave him to sleep at the weekend he can sleep until around 10/11am undisturbed.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 18:31:13

I've always been led to believe that if yiu have to wake them up, they haven't had enough sleep? Might be worth bringing his bedtime forward a little to see if his behaviour improves? My DF did this with her DS and he turned from a child on the verge of expulsion to the model pupil.

alanabanana85 Fri 06-Jan-17 18:34:09

i will certainly give it a go smile

thank you, I hope it is just as simple as that.

donkir Fri 06-Jan-17 18:39:17

I'd definitely move the bedtime forward. By the time he's actually going to sleep it's 9.30 my 14yr old doesn't even stay up that late most of the time. I'd aim for 7.30 bed and lights out at 8.

alanabanana85 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:36:49

im sending him 8.15pm tonight as its still the weekend, and will aim for lights out 8pm school nights.

fingers crossed this is the problem..

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 20:20:51

I hope so too. It can really make a dramatic difference. Like donkir, my almost 13 yo doesn't go to bed that late in the week.

donkir Tue 17-Jan-17 22:11:32

How are the early nights going op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now