Talk

Advanced search

social skills support/advice for DD1 (8)

(5 Posts)
rhetorician Fri 06-Jan-17 16:42:50

also in SN children thread:

DD is nearly 8 - she has a dyspraxia diagnosis and some resource hours at school. She is doing reasonably well at school academically (not reaching her potential, but doing fine), but I am increasingly concerned about her lack of social skills and inability to observe boundaries - some of which is anxiety/excitement based and some of which may point to ASD although this was ruled out when she was assessed.

The easiest way to explain is to give an example. This afternoon DD2 (5) had a friend over to play. DD1 spent most of the time running around, screeching, pulling at this child's clothes, getting in her face, making funny noises. DD1 "plays" a game where she just says "banana" over and over which children of her age just think is bizarre. We dropped the child back and DD1 then "played" with her older sister (in her class at school), again, getting too rough and physical, pointing her finger in the girl's face. The most frequent thing you hear when DD1 plays with people is "NO! DD1" over and over. I have spent hours and hours talking to her about this, doing role plays (which she refuses to do) etc, and whilst she often seems to understand in theory, whatever she understands deserts her when she is in the situation. It's worse if she really likes the child concerned. I'm at a total loss as to how to help her, and I can see that she is tolerated but not really included. 1:1 she can play well, co-operate etc.

School gives her learning support, but we've been offered no other support (her behaviour can be quite challenging too, she has trouble accepting rules or consequences).

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 20:21:59

Have you got any replies on your other thread rhetorician?

rhetorician Fri 06-Jan-17 21:33:18

no sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 21:37:52

Oh no. I haven't got any advice unfortunately but hopefully this will bump for you smile

rhetorician Fri 06-Jan-17 21:39:27

thank you jilted much appreciated. Unfortunately we are pretty used to handling it all on our own!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now