Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

9 month old feeding 3 times at night

(10 Posts)
emmskie03 Fri 06-Jan-17 09:04:48

My 9 month old has been having a bottle at 11pm and then a breast feed at 3am. He's just started waking and wanting another feed at 5am as well now. Is this usual? We are exhausted and I thought we'd be getting some more sleep by now not less! And advice would be gratefully received, I'm a rubbish sleeper and so the extra feed is making an already bad situation worse.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 14:16:49

Emm it's perfectly normal and you're not doing anything wrong. There's often a sleep regression when they take a developmental leap, likexdtarting to walk and it sound like yours has coincided with the 9 month sleep regression.

Is he awake after the 5 am feed? Could you and your DH take it in turns to get up with him?

Blazedandconfused Fri 06-Jan-17 15:49:34

Eurgh it's just awful isn't it. I was convinced DS2 would sleep better than his brother, but at 10 months he has bottles at midnight, 3 and 6/7. It's hell. But be assured, it is temporary. They do sleep for longer stretches eventually.

emmskie03 Fri 06-Jan-17 21:12:10

Thanks guys, after your responses and talking to a few other people I feel much better. I just kept reading that they can/should sleep through at 9 months whilst my little devil is getting up more.

He does seem to be having lot of big changes at the moment I.e. crawling and suddenly becoming chatty.

He'll go back to sleep at 5am provided he is breast fed and snuggled I think!hmm We'll take it in turns and hopefully, one day he will sleep throughgrin

Although saying that, somebody told me today that there child didn't sleep through till they were 4!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 21:23:47

I honestly believe that sleeping through is genetic. Me and DH were both very late to sleep through so I had extremely little expectation of our DC achieving it early.

Ilovecaindingle Fri 06-Jan-17 21:27:54

My ds was up 3 times a night for bf at 9 months. Sent dh in with a bottle of formula and he had an ounce then slept all night. Second night sent dh in with a bottle of water - Refused and slept all night. Never been up with him since and was 2 last Sept!! Whenever I went in all he wanted was a comfort boob!!
What happens if you send dh in?

emmskie03 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:39:42

He has a bottle as a dream feed at 11am and still wakes at 3am. We've tried sending dh in but it doesn't work - we worked hard to get down to two feeds a night. Before that there was a definite comfort boob problem which had us up every couple of hours and sometimes every 90 minutes!

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Fri 06-Jan-17 22:49:54

My 9 month old is still awake around 10-12 times between 7pm and 7am. I don't know how to fix it! I'm hoping I can ride it out without expiring from exhaustion!

tappitytaptap Sat 07-Jan-17 14:53:01

My 9 month old has started waking more in the past month too. I don't think he is going through a developmental leap as he can't crawl yet and not really showing much progress there so thought it might be a sleep regression thing? We try as hard as we can to get a decent amount of food/milk down him in the day so he is not waking up from hunger but that is hit and miss! He's also teething I think. If it is worse if they start crawling then maybe I'll be glad of it and stop worrying about him and comparing to all his little pals who are on the move.

ByJoveItsAGoodUn Mon 09-Jan-17 20:10:56

My 18 month has only kust started sleeoing through. Bollocks are they ready to sleep through at 9 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now