Talk

Advanced search

Osgood schallter disease in 12yr old ds

(15 Posts)
par05 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:13:37

Hi my 12yr old ds can't straighten his knee! Took him to docs, who said go to A&E and get xray, they then said he's got osgood schallter disease! He has bumps on his knees and at the moment, can bend his knee but hurts to straighten it! He plays a lot of sports and football! At the mo is on complete rest, and has to have physio,anyone's child had it and been able to continue to play sports? And how long did it take to recover from? Thanks in advance 😊

par05 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:18:52

He's super miserable at the moment, due to not being able to play any sports 😕 is there anything I can do to speed up recovery?

bigbuttons Thu 05-Jan-17 22:22:03

Ds 2, now 17, had this when he was about 15. He is very sporty. It passed as he grew. I wouldn't stress too much. It's annoying because they have to rest up a bit,. I think the name us far too dramatic. Why they call it a disease is beyond me.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 05-Jan-17 22:26:28

Hi! DS2 also has Osgood Schlatter's. He was diagnosed at 13, just before he went on his school's two week rugby tour!

The advice we were given was that it was something you just have to grow out of - you can't cure it as such. Playing sports won't make it worse, although may of course increase the pain. DS2 is 15 now, and suffers pain from it only rarely - he has had a growth spurt lately, so that may have helped.

For pain management he used knee supports (about £15 from Boots) and freeze gel. We also spoke to his school as he needed to be able to sit out of PE if the pain required.

He did also have crutches at one point - but only used them for a very short period indeed.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 05-Jan-17 22:28:28

And yes, calling it a "disease" does sound rather dramatic doesn't it? grin

BikeRunSki Thu 05-Jan-17 22:29:03

DH had this as a teen, and he grew out of it, by which I mean his ligaments (or is it tendons?) actually grew. There is still not a lot of "float" in his knees, and they do "pop out" from time to time - probably 3 times in the 20 yrs I have known him.

He did give up playing cricket (county standard) at about 15 because of his knees, but has cycled seriously ever since. Cycling (especially with clip in pedals/shoes) is much easier on the knees. He has also skied and kicks a football about with the dc.

BikeRunSki Thu 05-Jan-17 22:32:08

I thought it was a "condition" or "syndrome" rather than disease. Anyway. DH had a library of knee supports which he wears as he needs to (hillwalking, long days out) , and usually wears orthotic footbeds in his shoes (he has customised ones in his cycling shoes) to support/position his knee properly.

Piglet208 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:35:00

My now 21 year old son was diagnosed at 11. His knees were painful and he had to miss some PE and football matches and took lots of ibruprofen but as he grew he suffered less. He is now fit and healthy and very sporty with no knee issues. It is quite common amongst sporty boys.

par05 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:35:07

Thanks for replies, he's on crutches at moment and hasn't been able to straighten knee for about 5 days, but can bend it no prob?! Good to know that it will get better and hopefully he will not have to give up football! X

par05 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:36:24

Freeze gel sounds good will look into that! Did he put that on nefore playing?

par05 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:36:55

*before

Notso Thu 05-Jan-17 22:46:18

I was diagnosed with this at 13 and was told not to do sport. I didn't do PE for the rest of my time at school, which was a result for me at the time as I loathed it but looking back probably not such a good thing at all.

I recall the pain being much worse in cold weather though.

Itwillbefine1 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:08:33

It's like a traction injury where the quads tendon inserts into the top of the shin bone after a growth spurt in the femur. (Clear 🤓?)
There is often local tenderness and heat.

Local ice might help and gentle regular quads stretches.

cockadoodledoooo Thu 05-Jan-17 23:12:06

I had in both knees as a young teenager due to rapid growth. I still have the lump in my right knee and aches and pain still but not in my left

Lostsoul231 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:20:44

My son, now 15, had this between ages 12 to 14. My GP advised "no contact sports and use ice and paracetamol"
He still has lumps on his knees butt the pain has subsided now that his growing has slowed down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now