Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if 18m old knows his name

(14 Posts)
NoahsArk2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:48:08

Hi

First time mum looking for advice please!

i'm not sure if I need to be worrying about my 18 month olds development. He is an extremely happy, loving little boy. I think his speech is a little behind, with have the basics - mummy, daddy, nanny, cat, boo boo (cat's name), car, a whole host of animal noises. And lots of oh no and oh dears!
But I'm not worried about that. He definitely gets his point across and let's you know what he wants! He was 4 weeks early and spent a couple of weeks in NICU and SCBU and has always been a little behind on most milestones.
What I'm worried about is the fact that he doesn't respond to his name. He will point blank ignore me. My husband think it is just that and he is ignoring us - but how to you tell the difference?
His name is Noah so I'm slightly corncerned he is getting this confused with no. Not that he listens to that either! He is a very strong willed little boy, but surely he should at least look at us when we say his name?

Thanks in advance

Temporaryname137 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:13:04

Does he understand everything else that you say? eg, could he take a toy over to daddy if you asked him to do so?

If so, he is probably just being a toddler and finding other things more interesting! If you aren't sure that he understands you, maybe call your HV? He sounds lovely, the animal noises are very cute smile

NoahsArk2015 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:26:53

I'd say half of the time he can follow simple instructions.
It simply seems to be 'no' and his name that he completely ignores. I'm reluctant to go to hv. Only because I took him at 12 months with similar concerns but was completely dismissed (the person whose appt was before us turned up late and I got the feeling it was a vulnerable child so I get that they were more focused on them). Maybe I should go back! X

Soubriquet Tue 03-Jan-17 14:28:58

I would say he's probably ignoring you at the moment as Noah sounds like you're telling him off

Nooooo
Ah ah ah!!

IYSWIM there? He will start responding more when he realises he's not being told off

Temporaryname137 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:45:45

Yep, if he can understand you when he wants to, I suspect he is ignoring you when he wants to!!

However, don't let a bad experience with the HV put you off seeking advice. If you think you need it, for this or any issue, ask for it.

mscongeniality Fri 06-Jan-17 15:54:37

Does he ignore your husband too? My 20 month old ignores me calling his name a lot more often than his dad. When DH calls him he almost always looks at him! When it's just me and him at home I get so worried because he ignores me so much. I've been told that children can tune out their main caregivers when they're busy and kinda take them for granted.

mscongeniality Fri 06-Jan-17 15:55:18

Also has he had a hearing test? Sometimes even if speech seems fine, hearing might not be 100%.

justinelibertine Fri 06-Jan-17 15:59:59

I am going through the same with my DD who is almost 2. She has quite a few ASD traits but we have a hearing test booked in a few weeks.
Speak to your HV and they should do an assessment similar to the 9 month check they did.
We were referred for a hearing test when she scored highly on all the sections (60/60 fine motor skills) apart from communication where she scored 5 out of 60.
Like you I am still unsure whether she is ignoring me or there is something else.
It's a worry isn't it OP. But whatever happens your DS is still gorgeous. smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 16:47:55

Agree with the others. Get his hearing tested, in some areas you can self refer. At least then you'll know if he's ignoring you.

My DD had speech delay, but like your DS she could get her point across. As long as he can follow simple instructions, I wouldn't worry too much.

If you think he is ignoring you. I'd get with his eyeline when yiu speak to him. Using a sign for his name and a different sign for no will probably help too. It would help too if it's from confusion, hearing loss or developmental delay.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 16:51:57

Try this for Noah.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 16:58:44

and this for no. Sorry I've had to split my posts up. Wifi is really being a PITA this afternoon.

You should be able to get a book on baby signing at your library or you can download a makaton app. We used it and I'd recommend starting with about 6 signs. Just sign that one word as you say it. I'd start with Noah, no, yes, eat, milk and sleep.

NoahsArk2015 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:40:31

Thanks for all the advice. Think I will book a hearing test and go from there. Strangely since posting the original message I feel like he has been responding to me - but I'm so unsure now what is a fluke and what is him actually listening! X

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 20:16:37

I think that's a good idea. We had DDs checked when we were thinking about doing something about her speech delay. You can also self-refer to Speech & Language Therapy, but I'd wait until he's at least 2 before you do that.

My DD had very few words but started saying more when she was 3, almost to the day. When she did start talking she strung 7 words together in one go. He may surprise you yet smile

AmeliaJack Fri 06-Jan-17 20:20:46

Does he respond to nicknames?

So if you said "would you like a biscuit sweetheart (or whatever)" does he respond to that?

You might also like to think about when you are using his name? For all sorts of things it only when he's in trouble for example?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now