Talk

Advanced search

Stroppy 5 (almost 6) year old - normal?

(6 Posts)
blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sun 01-Jan-17 19:58:19

My 5 yrs and 10 mth old ds strops about everything and I find it really tiresome.
He's a clever, articulate, well mannered child a lot of the time who is disciplined when necessary.
He stamps off about the slightest thing and gets in a right mood....this happens at least 3-6 times a day. Lasts about 10 minutes before he stops it. Things like not winning a game, someone not wanting to do what he asks - he likes imaginary play but is extremely bossy and you have to do and say exactly what he wants you to and I don't EXACTLY so he strops. Strops at bedtime which makes no difference, strops because he doesn't want to brush his teeth, strops because he doesn't want to wear his coat, because he wants to/doesn't want to watch a programme, because he doesn't like his tea/lunch/breakfast.
He sleeps well from 8pm until 6am usually. We take him out somewhere everyday and he's constantly active.....does have screen time but not LOADS.....
Tell me you have kids the same please??!

Fartleks Sun 01-Jan-17 20:00:09

Is it his way of getting attention

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sun 01-Jan-17 20:02:57

He gets plenty of attention. He's an only child and has a large family and 2 consistent loving parents. We do lots with him. When he strops, he gets nothing!!! We tell him to go away. confused

AllTheBabies Sun 01-Jan-17 20:13:21

Mine was just the same at that age. Stroppy, emotional, irrational, impulsive. She's nearing 7 now and is a much more pleasant child to be around. I don't think it's because of anything we did, she is just finally growing out of the stage.

MarriedinMaui Sun 01-Jan-17 20:17:57

My nearly 6 year old was being a pain about bath time/ bedtime/ teeth/ getting dressed so we had a chat about it one day and he suggested a marble jar. It works like a dream! He loves choosing a new marble every time I say he has been good (usually once he has his pyjamas on) and I only have to threaten to remove one and he snaps into good behaviour. When the jar gets full (12 marbles) he gets 50p to put in his moneybox.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sun 01-Jan-17 20:33:45

Oh that's a good idea - he has a marble jar at school.......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now