Talk

Advanced search

9 month old can't sit up yet - should I be concerned?

(9 Posts)
HarryTheFluff Sun 01-Jan-17 13:21:30

My 9 month old can't sit up by himself, he can sit up with a bit of support but without it topples over to the side. He also seems less able to bear weight on his legs than some of his peers although it's really hard to judge as he thinks I'm a human bouncer!!

He can roll and commando crawl and has done since 7 months. He used to practice getting up on hands and knees but recently has given stopped doing that so much, I think because the commando crawling is really working for him.

NHS baby development says if a baby can't sit up by 9 months to see your HV or GP so I will do that of course but does this sound like it's of concern? What does / could it mean if a baby can't sit up by 9 months?

HarryTheFluff Mon 02-Jan-17 10:19:06

Bump

LucyFuckingPevensie Mon 02-Jan-17 10:28:28

It could just be that he has been so busy commando crawling and wriggling around that he hasn't really sat for long, so not really developed that skill / milestone. If he is meeting other physical milestones it is more than likely that there isn't an issue.
Your HV will more than likely ask you to practice sitting with him for a couple of minuets a couple of times a day to build that core strength and balance.
It's good to get it checked out though.

OutnumberedByFurchesters Mon 02-Jan-17 10:34:31

My DD went to nursery at 8.5 months and was still having to be supported by cushions or she would fall or chuck herself backwards.

She wasn't confidently sitting up until 9.5 months and didn't crawl in any way until at least 10.5/11 months and walking took til almost 17months!
But! Her cognitive skills are higher than alot of her peers, so that's where all her energy was going, motor skills fell behind...

If you're worried see HV or GP, however if he can sit up sometimes unaided its about giving him the practice to lengthen the time he can do it.. am sure everything is OK. smile

HarryTheFluff Mon 02-Jan-17 11:08:38

Thanks for replies smile

Yeah I have been practicing sitting a few times a day but it is hard as he doesn't want to sit!! He will only sit with me to read a book and even then it's only one at a time... otherwise he wriggles until he escapes! He can also escape from his bumbo chair shock

I am a bit surprised about this milestone being 9 months... and being one of the ones they want to check if not met. But there is no concern if crawling doesn't happen.

onedaymoor Mon 02-Jan-17 11:15:03

My DD1 was late at sitting, I don't remember exactly how old she was. But like your DS she was commando crawling early on and just had no interest in sitting still when there was a whole world to explore. If you put DD down to sit, she would just flop down and crawl off. DD got there in her own time and I'm sure your DS will as well.

bumblingmum Mon 02-Jan-17 11:41:34

If you're worried see the HV. Sounds like he's all ok otherwise. It's been said a million times but kids do things at different times. Mine was sitting unaided at 4 months but never rolled, crawled or moved until she started walking at 16 months.

HarryTheFluff Mon 02-Jan-17 13:34:56

Thanks I will see the doc about it, I know all babies develop at different rates but the NHS is only concerned about babies that don't sit up by 9 months or don't walk by 18 months and I just wonder why those milestones and ages are chosen. hmm

tappitytaptap Mon 02-Jan-17 16:35:25

Think it is because not all babies crawl OP? Because some just move straight to walking. My 9 month old DS is an excellent sitter but hasn't crawled. Makes what looks like an attempt but rolls, reaches, pulls things towards him to get them instead. He has started grabbing our hands and pulling to stand so he may be one of those that just skips crawling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now