Talk

Advanced search

Feel like I can't cope with 2 1/2 DD

(7 Posts)
CharleyFarleyy Fri 30-Dec-16 18:20:48

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if my DDs behaviour sounds normal or not, I'm really struggling to cope with it.

Shes always been a bit naughty and cheeky and throwing tantrums but usualy could be distracted. Recently she will not let me pick her up from nursery at all, she will run back into nursery won't let me put her coat on, will take a shoe off when I put it on and then scream blue murder (going res in the face with anger) when I try to carry her out of nursery and will stiffen and climb so that I really struggle to carry her.

She refuses to walk to or from nursery anymore (5 min walk). She will not even walk for a minute, she will grab my leg and try to put her arms up to get me to carry her and when I won't carry her she will drop to the floor and lie on the floor untill picked up.

If i ask her to do anything (eat breakfast, put on coat etc) and she doesn't want to she will scream no at me very angry, she seems to have such a temper.

I've tried not giving in to her, naughty step, shouting at her (hate myself for shouting sad), putting her to bed..

not sure what else I can do? is it just a phase? I'm worried it could be a sign of ADHD or something similar sad

Lawnneedsmowing Fri 30-Dec-16 18:24:58

Sounds really normal. I have one just the same. Sadly mine is now 4yo and doing it less but by no means not at all! Sorry but this is just the beginning of them exerting their independence ...dd1 was a breeze by comparison. I now realise I had it easy. I'm told it improves by age 5...sorry!

startwig1982 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:24:59

Sounds like a 2 year old! My 2yo dd has her challenges as well. Particularly the going rigid when you try to put her in her car seat or floppy when you pick her up to put her somewhere. She's also going through a pinching stage which is unpleasant for all.

I would say make sure she's getting enough sleep and food as that makes a big difference with my dd. Bribing works as does making it sound like it's something she wants to do/get it over with so she gets to do what she wants. E.g. When you have put your coat on we can go and feed the ducks; when you have eaten your breakfast we can play with playdoh etc.

CharleyFarleyy Fri 30-Dec-16 18:32:32

Thank you both so much for replying! Im really glad it sounds normal to you both! Im a FTM and have anxiety issues so im never quite sure if a worry I have is legitimate or not.

Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely take them on board

Christmaswhinge Fri 30-Dec-16 18:34:12

All very familiar here. DD is 2.5 too and does all this. It's really hard to be patient and I occasionally lose it and shout and then feel really guilty. I'm muddling through and not always very well. I'd love a second child but I just don't feel I can risk it if the second is like the first. Sad but it really puts me off.

HelsBels5000 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:40:01

It really doesn't sound like ADHD to me - my eldest has ADHD diagnosed and she was a very demanding 2 year old, her problems were more running away and refusing to sit still anywhere, ever, very easy distracted, couldn't keep focus on anything for a length of time.
Behaviour in your OP sounds just like normal 'terrible twos'
You just need to be consistent with the behaviour you like and praise lots, and consistent with the behaviour you do not like and in a stern voice express what you are not happy with and the repercussions: - I find the naughty step sometimes works for my rebellious 2yr old - or withdrawal of a treat etc - depends how receptive he is on that particular day.

Lawnneedsmowing Fri 30-Dec-16 18:40:06

Don't be put off...all kids are individuals....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now