Talk

Advanced search

Selfish or normal for a 6 1/2 yo?

(7 Posts)
Aspire2Iron Mon 26-Dec-16 07:37:08

Hi MN, Trying to see what's normal and good for a 6 1/2 year old and a for a parent of a 6 1/2 year old.

I was so very frustrated today with her selfish, ungrateful, rude behavior. We have 4 DC, and my 6 1/2 year old DD is second in line. Today she opened her brother's present (knowing it was his), rearranged her sister's new photo album against her wishes, complaaained about tidying up (with everyone else), and wanted more, more, MORE. I felt horrified and I ended up shouting after multiple episodes. 😟 I really try to emphasise kindness to others, but I felt like a big failure today bc she was so rotten after having just gotten beautiful gifts, and bc I shouted on Christmas. 😟

I'm wondering about the gift frenzy at Christmas.... maybe it's too much? Maybe she's just 6 and I'm over-reacting? Maybe she was acting out bc her Dad and I were tired? Right now, I just want to send back her beautiful new bike to teach her a lesson! I don't want to raise her to feel entitled-to-everything!

And yes, I must keep my cool bc I'm not going to teach kindness by shouting. 😟 Sigh....

Any insight?

lljkk Mon 26-Dec-16 08:44:56

I dread 6 year olds... they really are the most difficult age.
Nothing else has compared so far (my 4 DC are now age 9-17).

8 is good. 12 is great. 6 is the worst.

Aspire2Iron Thu 29-Dec-16 11:49:47

Thanks, lljkk.... I am finding it challenging!

Aspire2Iron Thu 29-Dec-16 21:00:35

Bump?grin

GinismyTonic Sun 01-Jan-17 19:39:20

I've just posted similar about mine! If it helps, you are not alone!

Beatrix22 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:44:01

We are experiencing the same and have really started on about teaching LO about thinking of others and personal space

Your not alone in this and I felt relieved to read this cos I thought I was going nuts!

Aspire2Iron Mon 02-Jan-17 09:29:13

At least we're not alone! Thanks for chiming in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now