Talk

Advanced search

6yo quite whiffy under the armpits - is this within the outer realms of normal?

(7 Posts)
TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Fri 23-Dec-16 10:17:02

Just that really. I supervise washing in the (daily) bath, with a particular focus on getting the armpits nice and clean. By the late afternoon there is a noticeable smell of body odour in the armpit area. No other indications of anything odd with health or development.

DD1 did not start to need deodorant until nearly 10, which appeared "normal" within her peer group, so am quite surprised that dd2 is already experiencing this.

user1477282676 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:24:45

The answer to this is that it CAN be something to worry about and it can also be normal. Some people have more sweat glands than others, including children.

BO in a child can be something which is just part of them or it can be a sign of precocious puberty or other issues. See your GP OP but try not to worry.

TheFormidableMrsC Fri 23-Dec-16 10:27:54

Hi OP, I would say my DD was like this between about 6/7. She started her periods at 8. So extra washing, deo and clean clothes every day. It's very unsettling when this happens to your little one. DD is now 18 and has developed normally and everything fine. Don't worry too much!

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Fri 23-Dec-16 10:32:51

thank you both.

unfortunately for our poor kids, DH and I are both very sweaty (I've always needed the 48hr type deodorants, DH soaks through sports kit after moderate exercise ) so I do wonder if to some degree she's simply taking after us. No other indicators of precocious puberty as yet.

SisterViktorine Fri 23-Dec-16 10:39:59

What are her clothes made of? I noticed DS(6) getting a bit wiffy during the summer but then also realised that it was only happening when he was wearing really cheap polyester tshirts.

It doesn't happen when he's wearing decent cotton clothing. I assume it must breathe better or something.

changeymcchangeface Fri 23-Dec-16 10:41:02

My DD has been a little stinker since about 7 blush She is now 10 and definitely developing but thankfully not started periods yet, so it doesn't necessarily mean she is well ahead of the game. My DD is certainly further ahead than most of her peers but not ridiculously so.

sirfredfredgeorge Fri 23-Dec-16 13:26:07

Normal eccrine sweat glands is pretty much just water, apocrine sweat glands contains all sorts of stuff which the (friendly) bacteria on the skin turn smelly.

The apocrine only arrives with puberty, so normally young kids won't smell regardless of how sweaty they get, so dress them in polyester all you want...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now