Talk

Advanced search

ds nearly 7 not yet dry at night, advice please

(12 Posts)
pepsi Mon 19-Feb-07 11:22:54

Firstly, I have never actually taken off his pull ups at night so havent tried to see how he gets on. A HV advised me to wait until they were getting plenty of dry pull ups in the morning before starting. Hence Ive been waiting and waiting. Ive noticed in the last few weeks that more often than not they are dry. Tonight I thought we would give it a go. My ds has never ever woken in the night to go to the loo so I am a bit worried on this point. Is this normal and what advice can you give me. My HV said that being dry at night doesnt become an issue until they are 7 so its in my mind now that we should give it a go. He isnt at all bothered about wearing a pull up either, even though his sister who is 5 has been dry at night since she was 2.

feedmenow Mon 19-Feb-07 11:38:12

pEPSI, FUNNILY ENOUGH i WAS TALKING TO MY sil ABOUT THIS THE OTHER DAY AS MY DS(5) STILL WEARS PULL UPS. Ooops, sorry about CAPS! Anyway, her ds(7.5) still wears them at night and she has been told not to worry til he is 8, then they will consider giving him pills (not exactly sure what or why.)
Anyway, I would suggest making sure he wees before bed and use one of those absorbant sheets. Also, be sure to have spare bedding ready and at hand for accidents.....
Good luck!

pepsi Mon 19-Feb-07 11:43:51

Just been out to by the bed mats and an extra sheet so fingers crossed. How many consecutive dry nights would you say it takes before you can be officially "dry".? Ive not had to do this really before as my daughter just was dry and has never even had an accident.

Crotchety Mon 19-Feb-07 11:46:56

Yep - first DS dry at night at age of 2. Second DS (now 5) completely soaking his pull ups by 10.30 every night. We try to get in first by getting him out of bed for a wee which I know isn't always considered the best thing to do but at the moment I don't see the point in asking for wet beds every night. He just doesn't realise he is doing it, and tbh is not alwys foolproof during the day either if he is engrossed in something else...

LIZS Mon 19-Feb-07 11:56:33

Am I right in thinking he may be dyspraxic ? If so it may simply be that he can't yet recognise easily the need to go when asleep.

funkimummy Mon 19-Feb-07 11:59:56

Hmmmm. Two of my cousins had the same trouble at night until they were roughly the same age - (between 7-9)

Their Mums took them to the Doctors, and it turned out their bladders would ['bottle neck') without them knowing. They were each circumcized and have both been fine ever since.

Obviously I'm no expert, but maybe you need to keep an open-mind?

Maybe a quick trip to the Doctors might put your mind at rest?!?

Ulysees Mon 19-Feb-07 12:00:00

ds2 still wets the bed some nights and he's 6.5. I find getting him up for a wee around 11.30 to midnight successful. He never wets when I do this. I've just ordered new mattresses for the bunks plus a waterproof cover. It's a chore isn't it but apparently quite common?

pepsi Mon 19-Feb-07 12:23:14

Wow, Lizs what a memory! Yes, I have an idea that my ds might be dyspraxic, or possibly Aspergers.....we have an appointment for next month for dh and I to see the consultant......this is part of the reason why I havent ever tried this before, but having noticed the dry pull ups thought it could be that he's ready. If we do try how long should be perservere with it before we stop do you. Im really touched Lizs by you remembering us. Thanks.

LIZS Mon 19-Feb-07 12:38:43

If you are seeing soemone next month then it sounds like a good time to at least try . If not successful it will be another point to raise. Good luck

pepsi Mon 19-Feb-07 12:51:26

yes, thats what I was thinking. Its a real puzzle to work out what might be connected to any condition he might have and what isnt. Im sure we will get there in the end. Thanks.

LIZS Mon 19-Feb-07 12:55:13

oh yes, we know that debate well - it's chicken and egg isn't it .

pepsi Fri 23-Feb-07 13:35:47

So far so good, its been 4 nights now and no problems. Im sure it wont be plain sailing but its an excellent start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now