Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Colic, wind or silent reflux

(13 Posts)
helpme12335 Sun 18-Dec-16 21:53:21

My daughter appears to have some form of colic/reflux/wind.

Shortly after feeding she screams, cries, arches her back, punches out and bangs her head for anything up to two hours.

We have tried winding her for extending periods of time, infactol, doctor Browns bottles and a comfort milk but nothing for seems to be working.

Initially it was worse on a night/evening but the last few days it's literally been all day everyday.

We are bottle feeding and she currently takes around 4oz every 3.5-4 hours

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Ellarose85 Mon 19-Dec-16 08:51:38

My DS had silent reflux, it was awful flowers

Make an appointment to see a GP with a view to getting baby gaviscon or ranitidine. Be pushy if you have to be!

I hope you get it sorted soon

helpme12335 Mon 19-Dec-16 09:45:21

Thank you Ella rose, were your symptoms similar to what I mentioned?

Ellarose85 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:57:26

Yes really similar! I was back and forth to the doctors for 5 months but they dismissed me as a worried new mum. My HV saw him at his worst and referred me back to the doctors with a stern note in his red book and they prescribed baby gaviscon which made the world of difference, he was much happier and calmer. He also started sleeping on his front(once he could get from front to back himself), which I know isn't advised but I read a few things online that said it often helps with babies with reflux.

I hope you get your LO sorted soon as I know how hard it is.

Heirhelp Mon 19-Dec-16 10:59:34

If it is always after feeding then it sounds more like reflux. How old is your little one? Are they bf or ff feed?

helpme12335 Mon 19-Dec-16 11:44:49

She's only 2 weeks but is so distressed. Throwing her arms and legs around and banging her head all over.
Heslth visitor has been out today DVD saw her when she was unsettled. Has recommended trying colief? And if that hadn't helped by the end of week go to the doctors.
I'm bottle feeding, using a comfort milk

Heirhelp Mon 19-Dec-16 11:53:32

We tried colief and it is a pain the arse. Colief reduces the amount of lactose in the milk, it will only work if the lactose is causing the problem.

The problem could be lactose or reflux. Both colief and gaviscon, the first meds given for reflux are easier to give to a ff baby.

Have you tried keeping the baby upright either holding or in a sling after feeding?

Go to GP sooner rather than later.

helpme12335 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:03:05

Yeah tried holding her upright, propped up the Moses basket so that her heads elevated.
A friend also mention dentinox, has anyone used this?

Ellarose85 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:07:21

Have you thought about trying reflux milk?

helpme12335 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:26:21

I only started on the comfort milk last week so wanted to give that chance to work before I changed it again but I will try reflux milk if no improvement by the end of the week.

Going to chemists shortly so will try colief and also make an appointment for my daughter With gp

Thanks for advice smile

kippersandcurtains Mon 19-Dec-16 12:48:47

Colief helped my ds but he didn't suffer from reflux, just his immature digestive system causing issues with wind in the early weeks. Hope it helps you - worth a try and not difficult to administer if you dropper it directly into the bottle.
My current baby dd (not quite three weeks) gets windy and distressed in the eves but can be placated with a dummy (and cluster feeding).
Hope it improves for you both.

helpme12335 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:29:37

Fingers crossed, got some colief and also made a doctors appointment for later this week.

If colief works does anyone know if be doctor can prescribe it as its quite pricey at £12.50 for a tiny bottle?. If not its not a problem but worth an ask especially if it's needed up until 3 months

kippersandcurtains Tue 20-Dec-16 03:44:30

Yes they can prescribe...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now