Talk

Advanced search

Cluster feeding / witching hour / low supply ??

(18 Posts)
notsojollydecember Fri 16-Dec-16 19:41:35

Please help, as I'm slowly driving myself insane.

LO was pre term baby, struggled with putting on weight due to jaundice and not really knowing what to do. He seems to be feeding better and is slowly putting on weight. Lately he is so fussy from about 4pm, cries unless is being fed, falls asleep but wakes if I put him down. He settles at about 10pm and will have a decent sleep followed by a good feed/sleep routine through the night.

I've read that this can happen but I'm having a real crisis in confidence and thinking LO would be happier & fuller on formula. I love breastfeeding but I worry I'm just not giving him enough. Would really welcome to hear any experiences that are similar and how you got through this time... x

MedicMama Fri 16-Dec-16 20:31:55

You don't say how old your baby is but all sounds absolutely normal to me.

I have BF all 4 of mine and they have all had periods like this. The way I have coped is by accepting what my evenings are, setting myself up on the sofa with drinks and snacks and some good tv!

Is your baby weeing and pooing ok? How often are you weighing them now?

As long as they are alert, developing well and stuff is coming out the other end then I would say you're doing a great job flowers

notsojollydecember Fri 16-Dec-16 21:00:07

Sorry!

LO is 4 weeks. He has lots of wet/dirty nappies and is back just above his birth weight now. He is putting on approx 25g per day and I am supplementing him with 80ml EBM every day too. Health are happy enough with his current gain and he will be weighed again in a week.

I think this seems worse as we somehow end up with lots of evening visitors and he is more often upset. Think we need to stop the visitors...

When does it get easier.?

MedicMama Fri 16-Dec-16 22:03:45

Definitely stop with the evening visitors!

Have you looked at the Kelly mom website? Lots of really good info on there about what's normal and what to expect.

It really sounds like BF is going brilliantly well from your baby's perspective - things will change as they get older. My youngest is 15 weeks now and her cluster feeding time is 5-7pm ish.

I really would recommend trying to alter your mindset & trying not to rent it - I see it as my relaxing time! I can sit and cuddle and watch trashy tv smile

CottonSock Fri 16-Dec-16 22:06:48

Totally normal... peak crying should be six weeks ish so if you are like me you can start counting them down. Still put mine in sling during tea time at six months, but there is much less screaming now

CottonSock Fri 16-Dec-16 22:08:02

And good god no visitors in my house (hardly ever).

SerialReJoiner Fri 16-Dec-16 22:08:09

Sounds completely normal to me. I've breastfed five babies and they all behave this way in the evenings around this age.

Your baby's job is to ensure you have a good milk supply for the next day; this is how he's doing it. Just keep feeding, feeding feeding feeding! smile

And nix the visitors. You need to put your feet up and let your baby do his thing. For now - it won't last as long as you think.

BiscuitMillionaire Fri 16-Dec-16 22:09:57

Possibly he is tired and over-stimulated.

Ohdearducks Fri 16-Dec-16 22:10:38

Yes sounds normal, it can be so trying! My baby practically cluster fed for 12 weeks straight, she was low birth weight and just seemed to know she had to 'catch up' if you like so lots and lots of cluster feeding to up supply, I once fed her for 9 hours straight. Hang in there OP you're doing great and I second Kelly Mom website, it was my lifeline.

notsojollydecember Fri 16-Dec-16 22:21:55

flowers
Thank you so much for all of the replies, it's good to know I'm not alone and all the tips are really helpful...will def check out that website too. Thank you again xxx

OnTheUp13 Fri 16-Dec-16 22:28:14

Have you tried looking at whether he's going through a developmental leap? The wonder weeks app helped keep me sane in the early days!

Some people think it's a load of tosh but it fitted for us grin

Ohhhhbother Fri 16-Dec-16 22:33:09

I second the Kelly mom website and wonder week app. I'm currently breastfeeding my 15 week ds, your experience sounds completely normal to me. When ds is going through a leap or growth spurt I'm usually stuck with him on the boob all evening. Relax as long as there's wet and dirty nappies and he's gaining weight you just need to find some nice snacks keep drinks near put your feet up and enjoy some movies!

LotisBlue Fri 16-Dec-16 22:35:58

Yes this is normal ime. My two both did this (one prem and one full term baby). Sit down with a drink and some telly and get your partner to do everything else around the house. Visitors only allowed if they bring food!

zeddybrek Fri 16-Dec-16 22:47:27

Agree with all the previous posts, all sounds normal and good idea to give the evening visitors a miss for a while. Just keep feeding! Drink lots of water. I increased my supply a little by drinking this herbal tea, sorry I forget it's name but easy to find on Amazon, it's called breastfeeding tea or something like that.

notsojollydecember Sat 17-Dec-16 14:24:12

I've got the wonder weeks app but due to him being early he's still a little way off a development leap - I think I've read the app correctly to get to that conclusion??!

OnTheUp13 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:03:06

You put in the due date not the DOB. My daughter was a week late and it's usually slightly off with her but only by 4ish days?

Schmoochypoos Sat 17-Dec-16 20:10:26

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly. I found about this stage my DS was actually tired.
I used to feed him in the dark upstairs so he wasn't over stimulated and put him down up there. But I doubt he is hungry, just cluster feeding to get your supply up.

notsojollydecember Sat 17-Dec-16 20:36:46

Yeah I've put the due date in, my LO was 3 weeks early so hasn't had any 'leaps' yet x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now