Talk

Advanced search

headbutting babies

(8 Posts)
sazjaz Sat 17-Feb-07 11:47:43

does n e 1 else have a baby that headbuts . i have a one y o dd and when she gets angry she will headbut the floor .i spoke to one person on here b 4 about it and said its normal but its gettin beyond a joke now . when im feeding her she will headbut my leg when shes ready for the nexy spoon full .is this normal or do i need to take her doctors my other three children never done it

luciemule Sat 17-Feb-07 14:49:10

hello - my daughter used to head bang when she was angry (against walls and doors) but it only lasted a few months but my son did it a lot on floors, doors, legs, people's heads and chins and brick walls. It made him cry a lot too and he often had 'eggs' appearing on his forehead. I had to take him to an oestopath last year as he had tightenings in his head from ventouse when he was born and she said that when he was teething, he might headbang even more as it was painful for his teeth to get through when there wasn't as much room. In the end, as I was worried that if I ever had to take him to hospital and the old bumps showed up on his head, I took to the GP. Only it was a young locum GP who was obviously not interested and wondered why I'd bothered to take him and said all babies headbang and he would grow out of it. Well that was last summer and he's still doing it so I think I'm going to make another appointment with cranial oesteopath to try and sort his head out again.
I took him to the GP really to make sure he wasn't damaging his skull but also to have it on record that it wasn't me hitting him but him banging his own head!
If it's just your DD getting angry though, I'd just remove her from the situation and say "no, we don't bang our heads". Hope she stops soon - it's quite distressing isn't it?

RedLorryYellowLorry Sat 17-Feb-07 14:52:26

Ds used to do this but he was pretty clever about it and never banged his head onto anything really hard. I think once he mis-judged and really cried. He grew out of it.

littlemissnobody Sat 17-Feb-07 15:15:59

DS, 17 months, does this so hard that he ends up with a bruise. On the doctor's advice, and knowing that nothing else I have tried works, I know ignore it. Obviously, I try to avoid the situation in the first place. I don't think it is uncommon, just a bit disconcerting!

sazjaz Sat 17-Feb-07 17:17:26

i have three other children so i was wondering if it was an attention thing .

samkim83 Sun 07-May-17 17:20:53

my daughter is 21 months she head buts walls, tables, the floor! im so stressed out over it! Im so worried she is going to knock her self out! it clearly hurts her i dont know what to do.

Timetogrowup2016 Sun 07-May-17 17:23:40

Zombie .
Op baby is ten years old now

Dairymilkmuncher Tue 09-May-17 14:11:13

Samkim my ds2 is similar age and his headbanging was getting a bit crazy with big eggs on his head and really upsetting himself, he doesn't speak at all so it away to have a hearing test and started sign.

I try and catch him before he does bang his head which is always because he's frustrated/angry, but always pick him up and give him cuddles and back rubs and since I started doing that rather than telling him off for doing it it has worked much better. He just needs that bit of reassurance. He hardly ever does it now and sure he will have grown out of it completely soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now