Talk

Advanced search

Very tall 4year old tired all the time

(14 Posts)
Weebear Wed 07-Dec-16 12:55:50

First time posting here ...
My dd is 4 years old and I find myself concerned about her being tired lots. I just sometimes think she should have more energy! She sleeps around 12 hours at night but no longer has a daytime nap . She keeps having really awful grumpy periods in the afternoons which I notice mostly when she is at home and not at the childminder (Monday Tuesday Wednesday)
She is also extremely tall for her age ( dh is 6ft 8) and I wonder whether this affects her getting tired so much? Is it normal for a child who's growing so much to get more tired?
Otherwise she is well and eats like an absolute horse
Any advice from other parents of very tall children would b appreciated
Thanks

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 07-Dec-16 13:01:48

I have a tall 4yo who I think should have more oomph. They have to walk/run a mile a day at school and he absolutely hates it. I'm trying desperately to get him involved in some kind of physical activity outside of school as well, but the excuses for not liking swimming/walking/running always come down to 'it makes me tired'.

He, however, does not eat like a horse. He survives on the odd ham sandwich and dust particles. It drives me mad. I suspect, by the way he sits, and based on me and DH, he's probably a bit hypermobile which also contributes to getting fatigued more easily.

I don't know that there's any answer, sorry, but I don't think it's related to their height.

CMOTDibbler Wed 07-Dec-16 13:11:58

At 4, my ds was sleeping 12 hours a night and still having a nap at nursery. At 10, he needs 11 hours sleep - he's full of energy during the day, but has always needed a lot of sleep and will be grumpy if he doesn't have enough. He is tall - 5'2 now, will probably be 6'5+

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 07-Dec-16 13:14:29

My DS has also never slept 12 hours in his life. 10 hours max and he's done.

Weebear Wed 07-Dec-16 13:21:54

Thanks- makes me think she probably is just someone who needs a good amount of sleep . As a baby she was a great sleeper and needed a two hour nap until she was three. We have a 5 month old who is up lots so perhaps he's been disturbing her sleep more than I've realised 😬 Think she will probably end up being extremely talk too - she's already wearing clothes for 8 year olds!

waitingforsomething Thu 08-Dec-16 03:19:12

It's interesting that you should say that. My DD has just turned 4, is very tall for her age (112cm) and is always tired, she always has been. She also sleeps a 12 hour night but still needs to be in by 6.30, no later than 7. She goes to pre-school every morning, and in the afternoons she does quiet activities. Sometimes we swim in the evening but she is also always knackered. Maybe they are just growing quicker at the moment!

uhoh2016 Thu 08-Dec-16 03:23:52

Elpha - They have to walk/run a mile a day at school at 4?? Where are you sending him? army boot camp?hmm

lightcola Thu 08-Dec-16 03:32:43

Your 5 month old is wearing 8 year old clothing? Crikey!!

Alorsmum Thu 08-Dec-16 04:27:21

uhoh2016 it's a thing in quite a lot of schools now to combat obesity etc

thedailymile.co.uk

ElphabaTheGreen Thu 08-Dec-16 06:39:07

What Alors said. They're part of The Daily Mile and are a pilot school for it in our area. I think it's brilliant. A four year old can and should be able to power through a mile with no problems.

neversleepagain Thu 08-Dec-16 15:22:57

My twins have just turned 4 and both are tall skinny girls. They sleep from 7-7:30 every night. They've always been big sleepers and still are. Dp is 6'4 and they take after him. They have bags and bags of energy during the day and do not stop. Days often consist of swimming, soft play plus another sport in the afternoon. They can easily walk or scoot miles and just never seem to be tired. Come night time though they fall asleep instantly and sleep for hours at a time. They go through phases with with food but eat huge amounts when having a growth spurt.

Weebear Thu 08-Dec-16 17:04:57

Haha I c what I mean, my 4 year old is wearing age 8 I meant!
Guess I'll just have to get used to these tall genes as baby boy looks like he'll b a tall one too 😬😬
Reassuring to know that her sleep and energy patterns are not that different to other children 👍 Thanks

lamprey42 Wed 21-Dec-16 19:39:12

Has she been checked for anaemia? My daughter had similar symptoms and was mildly anaemic. A course of iron did improve things. She eats a good diet but we have a family predisposition.

Weebear Thu 22-Dec-16 07:44:42

No but if it continues they said bloods could b done ,might wait till after Xmas and see how she is .
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now