Talk

Advanced search

Boy teenager wanting to wear make up

(33 Posts)
user1480352014 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:58:18

Just want to find out from anyone else with a boy teenager wanting to wear make up.
It started with foundation, concealer which is fine to hide spots.. but now moving to eye shadow and nail varnish.
Why? and what shall I do?

RancidOldHag Mon 28-Nov-16 17:01:37

Nothing.

Never make a fuss about anything which washes off.

(unless he's nicking yours without permission, in which case a bollocking for taking without asking - just as you would with any item).

heateallthebuns Mon 28-Nov-16 17:01:50

I'd say you'd have to ask him why as it could be any number of things - because he wants to look more attractive, like a woman, artistic, spontaneous, likes goth make up.

PurpleDaisies Mon 28-Nov-16 17:03:44

What do you think you should do? It's his choice.

BaronessBomburst Mon 28-Nov-16 17:05:05

Meh.
Goths wear makeup, EMOs, punks, the New Romatics did, who cares?

I quite like a man in a bit of eyeliner anyway

WalterWhitesNipple Mon 28-Nov-16 17:06:10

Would you be asking the same thing if he was a girl?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Mon 28-Nov-16 17:06:48

I would buy him a makeup set to experiment with and leave it up to him what he does with his own face.

BroomstickOfLove Mon 28-Nov-16 17:09:48

I'd make sure that he had a decent make up remover and general skincare, and leave him to it.

Littlepic Mon 28-Nov-16 17:11:30

I would ask him what he would like and buy him a nice set for Christmas.
I think if we just normalised these things less children would think they are transgender, when really they just want to wear make up and be who they are!

usual Mon 28-Nov-16 17:12:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NowtSalamander Mon 28-Nov-16 17:13:17

Show him footage of David Bowie and Adam Ant and celebrate his willingness to be a bit alternative.

The YA book Eleanor and Park has a character from a conservative background and he starts wearing make up. Maybe a good Christmas present for both of you.

Rhythmsticks Mon 28-Nov-16 17:18:29

Lots of boys wear make up! And they aren't "transgender". They're just boys who like make up.

What to do? Could you pay for a few make up lessons?

TheWildRumpyPumpus Mon 28-Nov-16 17:23:48

CoverGirl had their first 'CoverBoy' this year.

There are some good male makeup wearers on a YouTube - PatrickStarr, MannyMUA, Wayne Goss to name a few. All of them are just men who like makeup, none of are trans if that's your worry!

DoItTooJulia Mon 28-Nov-16 17:31:18

The kindest thing to do is to treat him as your son and just love him. You don't have to encourage it by buying make up if you don't want to, but you need to ask yourself why you don't want to. Because it might be that you don't accept that part of your son and that is a bigger issue than just make up and might affect your future relationship with him.

So I'd be making sure he had some make up supplies including a good make up remover and moisturiser too. And that he knew he could talk to me if he wanted to.

I hope you find a way to deal with this-it's not a big thing unless you make it one.

TheMortificadosDragon Mon 28-Nov-16 17:31:52

So, hopefully established that you should just let him get on with it, but of course ensure that he obeys whatever rules the school has re makeup.

mirokarikovo Mon 28-Nov-16 17:32:45

Obviously at school he should follow the same rules as everyone else - usually strict limits in most schools. Otherwise he does need to know a good cleansing routine, but shouldn't be shamed in any way for wanting this. Lots of men wear makeup - historically there have been times when every man has done so. Don't let it worry you.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 28-Nov-16 17:35:34

Yeah, no problem.

He'll grow out of it faster the least fuss you make.

GreenShadow Mon 28-Nov-16 17:35:39

How nice to have a DS who takes care in his appearance.

Wish teen DS3 had more interest in looking good.

Don't worry OP - it may not be such a 'thing' as it was in the 80s, but he's still far from the only one doing this.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Mon 28-Nov-16 17:36:21

I'd dig out some YouTube clips for him to ensure that he applies it well. And remind him of the school rules if applicable. There's any amount of make-up advice I could have done with as a teen so you're in a prime position to help. Nice set for xmas?

DearMrDilkington Mon 28-Nov-16 17:36:35

You don't need to do anything, make up isn't exclusive to woman and he'll be easier to buy for at Christmaswink!

He might end up as a famous make up artist working in Hollywood for all you know.

TheCrowFromBelow Mon 28-Nov-16 17:44:19

DS1 has been wearing liquid eyeliner and strutting around saying "eyes on fleek".
I have shown him where the eye make up remover is and let him get on with it.
Teenagers experiment and make up isn't solely for women- think of the New Romantics/Adam and the Ants/Robert smith (If anyone can provide me with a slightly more up to date reference - in the last eon or so would do - I'd be grateful [old gimmer emoticon] )

TribbleTrouble Mon 28-Nov-16 17:47:12

I'd let him crack on with it, hardly cocaine is it. There are worse hobbies than learning how to make your eyeliner more winged.

Trifleorbust Mon 28-Nov-16 17:48:05

Leave him to it. He isn't breaking any laws here.

sotiredbutworthit Mon 28-Nov-16 17:49:32

Let him. Just help him apply it so he knows how to use it.

Lostsoul231 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:54:04

My son went through a phase of wearing foundation around a year ago. He also dyed his hair red and got his ear cartlidge pierced. He's stopped wearing the makeup now, is back to a natural hair colour and hardly ever wears piercing. He was experimenting and j let him get on with it (even dyed his hair black and blue for him during the school holidays) and now he's grown out of it. I think it's better to support them in these things so long as they don't do these things school. It's fun and they need to express themselves in my view

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now