Omeprazole making reflux worse?

(3 Posts)
user1479946727 Thu 24-Nov-16 00:35:52

My 7 week old baby has been diagnosed with reflux and has all the classic symptoms of projectile vomiting, doubling over and wincing in pain, impossible to settle, sleeping in 15-30min chunks.

We've taken her to a paediatrician who initially prescribed ranitidine. This seemed to provide some mild relief and limit the vomiting for a few weeks and then seemed to lose some of its effectiveness, which I've heard is common. Last week the paediatrician switched her to Omeprazole and we're enduring a living nightmare since then. Her projectile vomiting is back with a vengeance, she will not settle and most bizarrely the following:
- During the day she will scream and thrash around unless she is upright. This has meant I've had to carry her all day in the baby bjorn. Then:
- At night she will scream and thrash around unless she is lying down? She will go as stiff as a board in my arms and scream until her voice gives out which is highly distressing. This can last for over 30mins straight.

I estimate she is only getting between 6-8hrs sleep each 24hrs and she is obviously exhausted however nothing seems to get her to sleep for more than an hour at a time.

I'm at the end of my tether and don't know what to do. The paediatrician has said we could just go back to ranitidine but that wasn't working either. She's been on Omeprazole for 5 days now and things have worsened significantly. Will it miraculously kick in at some point? I've read so much about it's effectiveness and am shattered to think that it has not only not helped it has made things worse : (

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any advice would be very welcome : )
Z

myoriginal3 Thu 24-Nov-16 00:40:40

I as an adult was on that and ended up back in hospital.
I was switched to one called lanzoprasole. It works perfectly. Would there be a baby version?

LongDivision Thu 24-Nov-16 12:13:32

I'm not a medical professional, but I'd go back to the Ranitidine! The Ranitidine dosage needs to be readjusted based on her weight regularly - I can't remember how often (fortnightly?) but it was frequent, and especially after a growth spurt.
btw the Ranitidine didn't stop the vomiting, but it generally stopped the acid, which is the worst part.
good luck - those days are a distant memory to me now, even though at the time it seemed like a nightmare I'd never forget!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now