Talk

Advanced search

4.5yo wetting herself again...

(8 Posts)
LaundryDrama101 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:24:49

My DD 4.5y has started wetting herself again, after over 2 years of being dry during the day. She started Reception this year (a littlie, June born) but had no issues in the first half of term, it's started since she went back after the holiday. On schooldays it's been at least one accident every day - always wee, never poo.

Is this a normal thing? Do we just ride it out? She burst into tears when I suggested she wear pull-ups for a while so I'm not pushing that. She says it doesn't hurt when she wees, she doesn't like the school toilets because 'they're not like home'... I do think she's holding it in all day - could she give herself an infection doing this? Not sure how much I can expect her teacher to do (like nursery you can ask them to make sure they go to the loo regularly).

She wears pull-ups at night and had a good run of being dry, I was about to take them off but now they are heavy again every morning...

Smartiepants79 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:38:18

Well, school can send her to the toilet regularly and check if she's been been but they can't make her wee, if that makes sense!
I would be taking her for a urine test to rule out infection and speaking to school. I doubt pull ups would be a good idea.

Sleeperandthespindle Tue 22-Nov-16 16:42:53

My DS, same age has been having this problem too. He's very nonchalant about it! I did take him to the dr, on orders from school, but there was nothing wrong and 'he's just being 4'. A combination of busyness, excitement and not caring much in his case. We remind him, as does the teacher to go hourly now.

This is helping much more than the very frequent reminders he was having. Teacher is sympathetic and nobody's making a big deal of it, which is good.

LaundryDrama101 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:52:13

DD's teacher is very cool about it, says not to worry (DD is not the only one!), so maybe I'll ask her to prompt DD to go more often to try.
Thank you for the reassurance that it may just be 'being 4'! I can imagine she gets caught up in all the stuff going on at school and doesn't want to break off from it, it's just funny that it's started from seemingly nowhere, and worse than when she was actually potty training!

PalacePalacePalace Tue 22-Nov-16 17:07:01

My ds is the same. Summer birthday started school in sept. Completely fine at school but afterschool club has accidents nearly every day. I'm not sure what to do. Asc say they remind him to go and there's not much else they can do.

TenaciousOne Tue 22-Nov-16 17:09:49

DS went through this, it turned out there were other things going on at school. He was perfectly happy there but there was some bullying, although the school called it boys being boys angry
If she's been dry for so long and you've ruled out everything else, is there a pattern to it?

LaundryDrama101 Tue 22-Nov-16 19:23:21

We had a chat about it this evening, it seems she thinks the toilets are dirty so she's been pretending to go even when the whole class goes with the toilet train before lunch. We've been practising wiping the loo seat tonight & I'm going to ask her teacher or TA if they can just make sure she actually goes tomorrow.
If there are still accidents at the end of the week I'll take her to the GP.
She doesn't have enough uniform to keep doing this! confused

TenaciousOne Tue 22-Nov-16 20:08:29

Ahh ok. I feel for her. My school toilets weren't particularly nice so did the same but I was slightly older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now