Advanced search

ASD journey.

(5 Posts)
Skookiemomster Tue 15-Nov-16 11:23:51

Hiya mummies
I'm new-ish to these threads so bare with me.

My son who is almost 5, has abnormal behavioural traits. For example, we have to walk the same route to school every day otherwise he flips out. When we are in the car, if we don't drive the same route home, he flips out. As soon as something doesn't go the way he wants it to, he flips out. If his school teacher isn't there for some reason, he can't settle. He likes to know exactly how the day is going to plan out, and if it doesn't, well there's hell on.
At first, I thought it was just temper tantrums, it's "just his age" and he'll grow out of it. But at his parents evening last week, his teacher expressed her concerns and suggested that I go to the doctors or health visitors. She's the head of the early years as well so like she's pretty clued up. She said she'd give us a back up report thing and speak to the doctors aswell.
I haven't rang the doctors, because I'm unsure what to even say! Is anybody going through this? Any advice on the whole process would be ideal
Thanks x

nennyrainbow Tue 15-Nov-16 11:36:27

I would phone the health visitor as the first step and ask advice. Health visitors can do the referral although I'm not sure up to what age they cover. My son was referred by the HV aged 4 after I raised similar concerns about his behaviour. The referral will be for an assessment by a child development team or similar, usually paediatrician, SALT, and physiotherapist.

user1476527701 Fri 18-Nov-16 17:36:38

If he's in school you can't go through the health visitor but you can go through the school nurse so ask for appointment with him/her, school nurse did ds referral. We are still going through the process, seen paediatrician and are seeing ed psych and salt soon

user1476527701 Fri 18-Nov-16 17:37:37

Special needs boards on mumsnet are great too for advice on stuff like this

Msqueen33 Fri 18-Nov-16 17:39:28

If concerned go to the Gp and ask for a referral. Two of my dd's have autism. It was picked up before school but Gp or school nurse is your best bet to start off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now