Talk

Advanced search

Advice for a first time mum wIth a 9 month old

(5 Posts)
Nightwish85 Fri 11-Nov-16 11:39:51

Hello everyone, this is officially my first post.
I'm just looking for a bit of advice/reassurance about my baby girl because as a first time mum I've found it very unclear where I should be going for advice. She's now 9 and a half months and very very active, she's been crawling and climbing ever since she hit 6 months and has never sat still. She's always been small too, weighing 6.4 at birth. I've been worried about weaning as the guide book I received in the post(cow and gate) makes me feel like she's way behind on things. She has a varied appetite. Generally she always eats her baby porridge/cereal in the morning with no fuss. She also loves all the rice cakes and little organix puffs you can get. But the ready made pouches and jars she is very fussy about, some days she will eat a whole one and other days she won't touch them at all. At her weigh in 9 days ago she weighed 15.7 and the HV was on the verge of saying 'whatever you're doing is fine' when I interrupted her expressing my concern and confusion about her weaning. She said I should stop trying the ready made jars and pouches and just give baby anything we are eating and just let her work it all out herself. I mentioned I'd been hesitant to do so because I was worried about choking or giving baby something inappropriate so she took down my details and said someone would arrange a home visit to give me advice. I never heard back.
So I'm wondering am I worried about nothing? Should I just continue doing what I'm doing as she's perfectly healthy and happy? I've been trying more to give her pieces of whatever we're having for lunch/dinner but she seems to eat little compared to when she would eat a whole pouch?

fluffandsnuff Fri 11-Nov-16 12:01:00

Hi, welcome!

Is she still having milk? And is she still following her growth line roughly?

Feeding is tricky- it's all about trying new things and sometimes they just don't like it. I did a bit of both- puréed fruit and finger foods. DS always ate more from pouches.

Home purées will probably have a bit more texture so might be a good way forward, with pouches if you're out and about?

YokoUhOh Fri 11-Nov-16 12:04:00

I was told not to worry what they eat on a daily basis; they tend to get what they need over the course of a week. We also overfeed babies and toddlers - they don't need much. Final thing: teething etc can wreck their appetite so, again, don't focus too much on daily intake.

celtiethree Fri 11-Nov-16 12:22:16

I know a lot of people can't stand her recipies but for me the Annabel Karmel baby and toddler book was really useful.

AnnetteKertan Mon 14-Nov-16 12:44:17

I agree with celtie, I found Annabel Karmel's books really helpful. I borrowed mine from the library. The Ella kitchen cook book is also good. I used both and my 16 month old eats pretty much anything I give her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now