Advanced search

Would you take kids out if school for 3 months?

(17 Posts)
twinkletoes56 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:18:00

My DH is keen next year to take our DCs 6 and 5 out of school for a family travel-a-thon for around 3 months. DC1 would be finishing year 1/starting 2 and DC2 finishing reception and starting year 1.

My sensible side says it's a selfish adult thing, the children will miss out and socially and with education. They are both doing very well at school to date.

I'm also concerned, having been lucky enough to go on several a few weeks at a time holidays with the children already that it didn't become lots of week breaks tagged together with the children being herded about to all the wonders before being moved on and not one bigger, slower experience iykwim.

My wild and reflective size says it's a no brainier and if we're lucky enough to be able to do it, there's nothing better than family time etc!

Any thoughts? I'm a bit of an analyst and I can't decide what to do. DH is keen to get a camper van so we would have a homey constant base for the children. Previously for several weeks we have moved after a few days which can seem disruptive.

NickiFury Tue 08-Nov-16 19:19:47

I completely would at that age. But I don't think they'd hold your place for you. You'd have to reapply on return. Would you be ok with that?

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:20:50

I think it sounds fab, but the only way to do it without being in big trouble for non school attendance would be to deregister and say you are homeschooling. Would you be likely to be get places from an in year application at your preferred school when you return?

2014newme Tue 08-Nov-16 19:22:40

I couldn't bear being stuck in a camper van for 3 months. You could try out the idea by all living in one room of your house for a few days. See how you get on.
Which countries you would visit would be key for me, Australia, new Zealand, Africa, Argentina, USA, Canada or similar yes. Europe no. 3 months give you a chance to.go further afield.
For me it would depend on whether I thought I would get a reasonable school ony return or not.
Good luck

theaveragewife Tue 08-Nov-16 19:22:53

If I could I absolutely would!!!

I would make sure to keep up with the maths curriculum whilst away though.

GrainOfSalt Tue 08-Nov-16 19:29:52

Do it do it do it. Definitely. Yes you may have to deregister but it is possible the school will allow it without deregistering. My friend's daughter spent 4 months travelling last October and another friend took their son out for the Autumn term the year before (neither deregistered and the schools facilitated it - different schools/ LA's) - one high school, the other primary. They will gain far more than they lose.

OrionsAccessory Tue 08-Nov-16 19:33:36

Yes absolutely! And I wouldn't think twice about the curriculum, they'll be far too busy learning to bother with that!

theaveragewife Tue 08-Nov-16 19:37:16

Orions I agree with that in every other subject than maths - it's too easy to get left behind and so difficult to recover from if you do.

I still don't know my times tables, they only teach them once confused

OrionsAccessory Tue 08-Nov-16 20:02:46

Theaveragewife has it held you back at all? No reason you can't go and learn them now! My kids don't go to school so im probably not the best person to advise on curriculum anyway 😄

theaveragewife Tue 08-Nov-16 20:49:43

It has when I try to compete with dh when watching countdown grin

Actually in all seriousness it did hold me back throughout my school life, it knocked my confidence and I didn't ever regain it in maths which led to not understanding more complex teaching. I have a very analytical brain and could have realised this much earlier!

OrionsAccessory Tue 08-Nov-16 21:16:53

If countdown pride is at stake then definitely learn them now!

I found some of my times tables really difficult, I was there when they were taught to me but I don't think I was ready to learn them at that point. I'd definitely have rather been off in a campervan for 3 months grin

twinkletoes56 Wed 09-Nov-16 10:27:56

Would they really teach all times tables in the space of 3 months? It is usually in year 2 currently?

theaveragewife Wed 09-Nov-16 11:10:39

Possibly not...was just an example, although op's dc1 is starting y2 when they are planning to go.

Definitely wouldn't stop me going...just worth taking a bit of work, I'm sure any teacher would recommend it, that way they won't feel so lost and left behind on their return. I agree though, probably more important for the y2 than y1 who will most likely still be play learning.

Artandco Wed 09-Nov-16 11:24:07

Yes I would. Mine are in year 1 and 2 now. They could easily be taught what they would miss whilst travelling. Also with the long summer holidays it's only about half the 3 months they would miss as half holiday time anyway. At that age it's easy to keep them up to date, 20 mins of maths daily, 20 mins of creative writing a daily diary of what they have done, 20 mins of reading. The reading can including reading where they are going that day or information boards at attractions with you, diary add pictures and can be done for fun, maths simple enough.

Ideally could you travel earlier and be back for September school start? Travel June, July and August. June is schools rips and tidying up, July and August school holidays anyway. Main learning is before May half term imo.

lilyborderterrier Wed 09-Nov-16 21:14:16

Hell yes you go with your family and have a wonderful time x am very jealous

museumum Wed 09-Nov-16 21:23:50

I'm not sure. Will the children get back into their school? How settled are you? Will you return to the same house/school/jobs or go somewhere new after?

Tbh I'd be more inclined to go away the whole summer holiday and maybe a fortnight before so two months rather than three. If you said a year or more I'd say do it and homeschool but three months to me is both too long (for a holiday) and too short (for a homeschooling lifestyle)

twinkletoes56 Wed 09-Nov-16 22:09:05

We'd be hoping to keep the place at the school (that might be a deal breaker whether we go as we're very happy with it) and return to the same house etc. Job wise we would try and get unpaid 'career breaks' . If this was not granted we're both lucky enough to be in fairly high demand jobs where we could likely get locum/contract work if required on our return. We'd probably want one of us to keep our job for security on return.
I think we probably need to test the water with the school re if they would keep the place open and when they envisage the most optimum time (with least disruption) to go would be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now