Talk

Advanced search

7 month-old baby hasn't gained any weight in a month

(12 Posts)
cheeseoverchocolate Mon 31-Oct-16 15:56:31

Hi everyone,

DD used to be on the 25th percentile and now has dropped to the 9th percentile (talking out of memory- her red book is in her bedroom and she is napping now) due to not gaining weight. She hasn't been ill at all, she has regular milk feeds (BF) and has three 'meals' a day although the quantity she will take in will vary from a few spoonfuls to many.
I must say we have been struggling with weaning in that she has so far refused anything that is not pureed. I regularly offer things like toast, pieces of fruit/cucumber, mashed banana but she just isn't interested. Sometimes she will grab it and put it in her mouth but then grimace and chuck it away. Sometimes she won't even bother and sometimes she will just cry at the sight of it. Same if we bring it ourselves to her mouth. The only thing we have had a little bit of luck with are Organix carrot sticks. I wasn't overly worried at first as I know all babies grow differently, at their own pace,etc but I am getting very concerned now. Each time we got her weighed the HV said not to worry just yet but come back a fortnight later and see if things have improved. This time, they said to go and see the GP about it. HV said the lack of weight gain could be due to DD not eating proper textured foods. Is it true? My understanding was that milk was still their main source of calories? My DD is otherwise very alert, she is very energetic, can never sit still, is always going on all fours, rolling around and even has abs (!), which I am told could explain why she hasn't gained weight. I am however very concerned and my GP appointment is not till Thursday so I thought I'd ask you for some advice. What am I/have I done wrong?

cheeseoverchocolate Mon 31-Oct-16 17:21:26

Anyone? Or am I in the wrong section?

user114114 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:03:57

All I can say is stick it out

My DS was the same, never ever drank more than 120ml in one go and often went hours at a very young age with no milk. He's now about 12kg and only just going into 12-18 month clothes (he's just turned 2) so in general just a small kid!

We were with the paediatrician for slow weight gain as he was born on the 90th and went to the 2nd at one point. He's now steadily on the 25th, it's taken forever but he's finally found his 'line'

I now have the same battles with food, he can sleep for 12 hours at night on fresh air!

Some days he eats like a horse then we will have 3 days of no food, over time I have learnt to not worry and stress over it as he is thriving, very advanced and healthy, he rarely gets ill

It's easier said than done (believe me) but it will get better smile

RandomMess Thu 03-Nov-16 21:07:11

I would stop taking her to get weighed, that is too often!!!

I'm assuming she is more mobile now and taking more interest in her surroundings, it all burns up more calories smile

user114114 Thu 03-Nov-16 21:13:50

How often having them weighed depends as it could be something else, if a baby doesn't put any weight on over a long period of time there could be under lying issues, for us it was because he just wasn't interested but some babies it might be more serious

cheeseoverchocolate Fri 04-Nov-16 21:08:22

Thanks everyone.
I got her weighed that often because HV told me to. Last time I went I was told to go back a week later. I am sure the weight won't have increased but my paranoia will have!
I went to the GP yesterday. DD was checked for diabetes but everything came out fine. We got referred to a pediatrician now.

user114114 Sat 05-Nov-16 02:28:50

That's good to hear, glad some progress has been made smile

minisoksmakehardwork Sat 05-Nov-16 02:37:57

Mine are all older (youngest are 4). But I was told the mantra 'food before one is just for fun' so milk is still their main source of nutrition. And you say yourself she's a very active baby, which would show a slower weight gain.

Personally I wouldn't have worried about the lack of weight gain for a little while longer - and I think the hv is at fault for causing you worry. But I have not been trained, rather have experience of raising 4 dc, and there is no harm in getting it checked out. I've been seen many times where Drs have said they would rather see a child who turns out to be perfectly well and healthy than have a very poorly child brought in later.

cheeseoverchocolate Sat 05-Nov-16 10:37:16

You are right - had I not weighed her, I would never have worried about anything as she looks fine to me. But as you say, it's better to be safe than sorry. Let's hope the referral doesn't take too long now!

TheFirie Sun 06-Nov-16 08:56:14

Try to feed her at the same time you are having dinner and lunch, and as she likes purees, keep giving them to her and try to integrate with some creamy risotto (rice, vegetable broth, butter and parmesan), pasta soup shapes in a vegetable or chicken broth again with some parmesan and butter.
At that age, my DSs liked soups, thick soups, especially the minestrone which I used to puree for them.

I also used to give the banana poached, cut thin slices in 5 cm of boiling water and cook for a couple of minutes. Pear and apples would be cooked as well.

DS1 was born in Switzerland and these were the recommendations for weaning.

I would also always eat at the same time and sometimes offer from my plate. DS loved polenta, mashed potatoes and some minced meat in it.
Just real food.

Raw vegetables (carrot, cucumber) don't really have any taste until you bite in them, so with no teeth and a cold plain stick in her mouth, it is no wonder she starts crying. Instead of toast, buy a rustic baguette and give her a long stripe of crust to suck on. The rubbing of the thick crust on her gum would be good for teething.

Hope this helps with new ideas

cheeseoverchocolate Sun 06-Nov-16 16:22:28

Thanks, I'll try that. It's always interesting to hear ideas from other countries too. Guidelines can differ quite a bit too!

TheFirie Sun 06-Nov-16 18:59:32

The base in Switzerland and Italy (where DS2 was born) is a homemade broth in which you put zucchini, carrots, potatoes to cook for a couple of hours and keep the broth, ditch the veg. Later you add more veg, celery, tomatoes, onion and you use the broth as a base for tiny pasta shape, risottos, or to soften your mashed veg. Sometimes, I would just pick up a carrot that was boiling after 15 min and let it cool down before giving it as a whole to DS. A well cooked carrot melts in the mouth as opposed to the raw and hard carrot.

TO do a risotto, you cook the rice in a frying pan, adding the broth very slowly, just to cover it, adding some more when it is absorbed. at the end, you keep it moist with the broth and add butter and grated parmesan. I would sometimes add cooked spinach to the risotto.

Weaning is about taste and texture. If the taste isn't appealing, why bother with the texture.

Cooked pears were a big favourite. Poached it in very little boiling water and puree with some of the water.

Try to avoid rice cracker, biscuits, ... but if you are having a walk, let her sometimes, suck on a real fresh croissant or as I was saying bite on the hard end of real bread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now