Talk

Advanced search

Tummy time - how important now he's more interested in sitting up?

(4 Posts)
andpropersteel Mon 31-Oct-16 12:10:33

My DS is just under 12 weeks old and from birth has had loads of tummy time through laid back breastfeeding and on the floor/dad's chest. His head control has always been good and he has been able push himself up fully onto his hands for a good few weeks.

However in the last week or so he's become totally obsessed with being able to sit up, he starts straining to sit if he's laid back and is getting really strong, and can sit supported and pull himself up to standing holding onto our fingers.

He used to love tummy time but now it usually makes him spit up (very sicky baby) and needs a new outfit change, so have to time it really well in between feeds, is it necessary to do so much tummy time now he's getting arm and neck strength through sitting, or can I reduce the time?

First baby so I'm a bit clueless as I've been tutted at by a couple of people for letting him do tummy time before 3 months?!

andpropersteel Mon 31-Oct-16 12:13:01

Argh sorry for the poor grammar - we've been cluster feeding ALL night blush

Liskee Mon 31-Oct-16 22:56:22

The HV always encouraged us to do tummy time from birth so not sure why you're being tutted at for doing it before 3 months. Honestly, people just say things to freak you if I think!!

I'd suggest you keep encouraging tummy time up until baby can happily roll from tummy to back and back to tummy without help.

Inthenick Mon 31-Oct-16 22:59:24

I forgot to do tummy time for dc#2 and #3. They are both early sitters and walkers.

Honestly, I don't think it matters except I guess it might help a small few with problems build s little strength but in fairness all the babies I've experience of know well how to build their strength and get on the move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now