Talk

Advanced search

First toothbrush and toothpaste?

(5 Posts)
Flen Sat 29-Oct-16 19:43:25

My lg is 7.5 months and has two teeth, it suddenly occurred to me that I should begin teaching her about brushing, but no idea where to start with choosing a toothbrush or toothpaste. Am a fairly Eco mum, so that would matter a bit, as would limiting additives etc. Any ideas?

dementedpixie Sat 29-Oct-16 19:50:36

A soft baby toothbrush and some toothpaste with 1000ppm fluoride - can be child stuff or adult stuff but don't use a whitening one. Child stuff tends to have a milder flavour and you can get other flavours other than mint (we always chose mint though as adult ones tend to be minty too)

dementedpixie Sat 29-Oct-16 19:51:52

You only need a smear of toothpaste too to minimise swallowing. I think pea sized blobs are for over 3s

HappyHeart87 Sat 29-Oct-16 19:59:19

Our dentist encouraged us to try our own toothpaste first, rather than baby toothpaste. You just dip the brush into the paste so you're using a tiny bit because babies can't spit toothpaste out properly.

As pp said, it's v important to have at least 1000ppm fluoride. Some baby toothpastes don't have this.

Flen Sat 29-Oct-16 20:30:49

@dementedpixie and @HappyHeart thank you so much, that's very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now