Talk

Advanced search

What age did you toilet your DS?

(20 Posts)
InsaneDame Sat 22-Oct-16 09:48:58

DS1 was trained in a couple of days at 26 months old. DS2 on the other hand is 2.6 years old and we have tried him a couple of times but he still only wees on the potty if we put him on it but wees in his pants if we don't. Basically he isn't making the connection between needing to go and taking himself. I realise the experience we had with DS1 isn't that common but it's all I have to go by so what is a more average age to successfully train a boy?

InsaneDame Sat 22-Oct-16 22:59:27

Obviously I meant toilet train in my title!

moomoo222 Sat 22-Oct-16 23:08:55

Both of mine (boys) at about two and a half - but no pressure & lots of praise. We'd made a big deal of buying 'big boy pants' & talked about how nappies were for babies (not in a derogatory way - just factual - I'm sure someone will find fault with that!). Also for my second we discovered the Pirate Pete toilet training book & he loved it. They were both dry day & night straight away - we were lucky though as had winter babies so trained in the summer which is easier I think! Not that that is much help but I'm sure you'll get there - maybe give it a break & come back to it in a month?

Haggisfish Sat 22-Oct-16 23:10:00

We just waited until 3.5 and he's got it really quickly with only two wee accidents.

Lupinlady5 Sat 22-Oct-16 23:14:02

About 2.8. Should have persevered a bit earlier, with hindsight.

Mumto2uk Sun 23-Oct-16 05:33:18

We waited to 2.7 after lots of attempts previously. He just wasn't ready before and gave up a few times. One day he came to me and said I want to see in my potty. Ever since he now uses the toilet and his potty. I'm pleased we have up trying to train him
(After pressure for family etc) he wasn't ready and resulted in upset for him and us. Obviously keep leaving it out and trying it, but maybe wait until he shows you signs or asks to use it. Also, fun books like pirate Petes potty helped. Good luck x

GizmoFrisby Sun 23-Oct-16 05:34:58

Ds was toilet trained by 2, my dd will be more like 2.5 I think

CakeRattleandRoll Sun 23-Oct-16 16:39:22

We started properly around 2.4 yo and he got it within a few weeks. Day trained, that is, he still needs a nappy at night, aged 4.3.

Losgunna Sun 23-Oct-16 16:41:21

Ds has just turned 3, we started about a month ago and he's pretty much got it down with only the odd accident now and then

Mama1980 Sun 23-Oct-16 16:45:34

Ds1 2.5 he trained in a week no fuss. Night trained at the same time.
Ds2 2.6 slightly trickier took about a month to be fully reliably trained.

Tidypidy Sun 23-Oct-16 17:01:30

Ds1 was nearly 4 and then had many accidents before completely dry in day by 4.5. Still not dry at night. Was complicated by diabetes though which makes him wee massively if blood sugars are high. Ds2 dry at 3 day and night. Very few accidents. Really depends on the child I think, there's certainly no set age!

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 23-Oct-16 17:02:39

DS was out of nappies day and night within a week of his 2nd birthday. Wasn't planning on potty training him then, he was just ready and did it himself, but he is DC2. He wanted to be like DC1. DC1 was dry in day st about 26/27 months and night was about another 6 months.

WackyWalrus Sun 23-Oct-16 17:05:47

2yr9m for ds1 but 3yr for ds2. He just didn't have control over those muscles until then.

Winniethepooer Sun 23-Oct-16 17:14:07

Dd was 2.7 and totally ready. Trained in 1 week.

lanbro Sun 23-Oct-16 17:20:27

Dd1 2.3, wanted her out of nappies for nursery.
Dd2, trained herself and was dry day and night by 2

midcenturymodern Sun 23-Oct-16 17:25:06

Three of mine were all trained around the time of their 2nd bday. The other was almost 3. I don't know if it's a co-incidence but he did everything later (roll/crawl/walk).

uhoh2016 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:46:10

Ds1 was done within a week at 2yr 3m (que me thinking I'm super mum)
Ds2 was almost 3 and took around 6 weeks before he was dry (poos took nearly 2yr 😭) - super mum status down the pan lol.
Ds3 is currently 21m I've not even attempted or introduced a potty yet, although he will lift his change mat out and pull his pants down if he has done a poo so I'm hoping when he's ready he'll be more like ds1 than ds2

10littlepirates Sun 23-Oct-16 21:50:24

DS1 was 3 and 2 months. he suddenly decided he was ready and we had very few accidents. He's still in nappies at night at 4 though.

MrsBungle Sun 23-Oct-16 21:51:11

2 years and a couple of weeks. took 3 days although there were a lot of wet pants in the first 2 days. On the third day he got it.

elQuintoConyo Sun 23-Oct-16 21:58:31

2.8 in August so he could run around pant-free. Luckily it was three easy days no accidents and he was also dry at night.

He had hideous colic until 9mo so I think this was his gift to us grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now