Talk

Advanced search

son 3 years 3 months really behind with everything

(7 Posts)
emmz25 Thu 20-Oct-16 23:00:38

Hi I'm just messaging son is slow at everything kids there age are doing they have always been really behind now school wants to put them on special needs register to tryand help prepare them for reception next year it's not just at school they don't listen or do what there told it's for me aswell at home they are the most loving boys but Are getting a little but naught lol has anyone child been on there got the extra help and brought them on to catch up with other children just worrying they might not catch up

tonsiltennis Thu 20-Oct-16 23:03:50

I mean this kindly but I don't know what you're asking. There's no punctuation at all. What are you worried about?

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Thu 20-Oct-16 23:08:31

Has your Son been assessed?
Have you had his hearing checked? If he has a problem hearing, it would cause a delay in some developmental milestones.

hoddtastic Thu 20-Oct-16 23:09:26

in what way are they behind? I think you need to accept the support and ee how it goes.

I know some kids who were slower than average to do stuff (some things like talking, walking, potty training etc.) on the whole they are all absolutely fine. Who has suggested this and what have they exactly said?

emmz25 Thu 20-Oct-16 23:18:00

They have been under child development but got signed off they've had hearing tests speech therapy. They are behind with talking there behaviour really bad at walking still always tumbling. They were very slow at developingdidnt walk talk crawl sit up or anything near what other kids where doing just wondered if anyone else had been in the same situation and the one 2 one helped or if they might always be behind

emmz25 Thu 20-Oct-16 23:23:53

Hi I'm just messaging my son is slow at everything can't talk properly bad at walking behaviour in nursery doesn't listen compare to other kids there age. they have always been really behind now school wants to put them on special needs register to try and help prepare them for reception next year it's not just at school they don't listen or do what there told it's for me aswell at home they are the most loving boys but Are getting a little but naughty lol has anyone child been on special needs register got the extra help and brought them on to catch up with other children just worrying they might not catch up.
Re wrote first back message back out to try and make it but clearer but this is all new too me

Miloarmadillo1 Fri 21-Oct-16 13:56:20

Hi emmz my daughter has global development delay due to a neurological condition when she was a baby. Before that happened I assumed if children needed help/therapy they got it. In fact it's been very frustrating trying to get help for her. She is often not ' bad enough' to meet thresholds for therapy, and I think unless needs are profound children can fall through the gaps a bit, especially if parents are not proactive. I have found other parents to be the best source of information and suggestions. We attend a special needs playgroup at the Children's Centre and one run by a local Parents and Carers association. Your council have to publish their 'Local Offer' which tells you what is available locally, and they have to provide a Special Needs advice service for parents. If preschool are accessing assessments or additional support then try to see that as a positive, it's much better to have support in place when they start school than have them struggle. Once they get to school they can have up to £6000 of additional help (would pay for things like intervention groups but not a full time 1-2-1) anything more they have to have an EHCP. It is worth making sure everything is well documented to start the process of applying for an EHCP if anyone thinks that is on the cards. I'd also have a chat with the SENCO of any school you are applying for, as how good they are has a large bearing in what support gets put in place. Each school should publish a Special Needs policy which is worth checking too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now