Talk

Advanced search

2 years old and not walking yet?

(14 Posts)
MummaEmily Thu 20-Oct-16 00:27:39

Hi 👋🏻 I'm new here so bare with me, I was just wondering as I hate talking to people in real life about this as people get judgy but my son turned 2 in September and still isn't walking. There's nothing wrong with him cos he can climb and crawl and his way off getting around is shuffling on his bum, he can and has put weight on his feet before even stood alone but he just won't walk, he's done steps with me but that's all. Please tell me someone has been here before or is and I'm not the only one? He's so clever and his speech is brilliant it's just the walking. I don't feel like he's ever gonna walk!
Sorry for going on and on!

PickAChew Thu 20-Oct-16 00:29:56

Speak to your GP. Protocol is that muscoloskeletal disorders should begin to be looked at if no walking by 18 months (found this out when mine was 3 sad)

Molly333 Thu 20-Oct-16 00:43:05

Not sure if this helps but I'm now 47 perfectly fit and well but didn't walk until 2.5 years . My parents did lots of tests and it was deducted I was just lazy , still am a bitsmile

Ohdearducks Thu 20-Oct-16 00:55:17

Have you seen your GP or HV? he needs assessing for any underlying medical issues to be ruled out. Chances are he's fine and will do it in his own time but it's definitely vital you get him checked out.

NickyEds Thu 20-Oct-16 16:49:28

I would definitely go and have a word with the gp.

EsmesBees Thu 20-Oct-16 16:53:32

Very anecdotal but MiL says that DH didn't walk until 2. Completely fine now.

GoofyTheHero Thu 20-Oct-16 16:55:05

I'd also go to the GP/HV. My cousin wasn't walking at 2 and she had physio to help.

Princesspond Thu 20-Oct-16 16:57:07

Talk to the GP, but both of mine were bum shufflers and the paediatrician (that we were seeing for something else) told me the average age for bum shufflers to walk was 24 months.

Pickled0nions Thu 20-Oct-16 16:57:26

Hello, my LO was a bum shuffler, didn't pull up till 18 months. Never crawled. when she turned 2 she was walking assisted. And then at about 25-26 months she was walking independently. Please don't worry unless you feel there is more of a medical issue here.

There is hypermobility, so do look into that.

Pickled0nions Thu 20-Oct-16 17:00:04

I should of probably mentioned that I had to get some supportive boots for my DD as she just would not support her weight without them. That's initially what got her to pull up and take her weight.

It feels like a life time but don't worry he will get there I promise smile

LifeLong13 Thu 20-Oct-16 17:00:56

I have hypermobility EDS3 however I walked at 18 months so it doesn't always point to hypermobility. But again antidotal evidence.

passmethewineplease Thu 20-Oct-16 17:02:24

DS walked about a month before he was two.

I got in touch with the HV who referred him to paediatrics.

His gross motor skills are fine but but he is still behind with his other milestones.

Always best to get it checked

DollyBarton Thu 20-Oct-16 17:02:38

It may well be nothing but it is time to bring him for a check up. Just go and see what the GP says. Is he developing normally in every other way? Is he speaking and communicating as a 2 year old should?

waitingforsomething Fri 21-Oct-16 07:35:43

I had a bum shuffler too but he still walked at 14 months.
You'll only get anecdotal answers on here op so you're best to take him to the GP and have him checked out. It doesn't sound like he has any serious problem as he bears weight etc. but it could be something that's very quickly fixed with physio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now