Talk

Advanced search

Baby won't lay down to nap

(7 Posts)
Mummyhug Wed 19-Oct-16 12:49:29

My DD is 5 months old and won't lay down when she naps during the day. She will sleep for hours in my arms but as soon as I go to lay her down she wakes up and cries until I pick her up again. She sleeps really well at night, it's only during the day she does it.
She has a travel cot with a raised platform downstairs that I try to lay her in during the day with no luck but she will happily sleep in this in the evening when she's downstairs with us before we go to bed.
I have tried closing the blinds to dim the room, her dummy, a soft blanket, quiet room.
Any suggestions to help?

JaneNG Wed 19-Oct-16 12:53:29

I really find that the technique "where's the baby, there e is" is an excellent way to stop a baby crying, this is from ice age but it always works with my 8 month old

BishopBrennansArse Wed 19-Oct-16 12:54:02

A swing?
Found mine a godsend. See if you can borrow one or pick one up on eBay rather than get new just to see if it works.

Penhacked Wed 19-Oct-16 12:59:51

Three options: walk her miles in a pram until she drops off, or put her in a sling so you can at least move about while she is asleep, or take a side off the cot bumped up to your bed, when she is asleep move yourself away gradually and surrounding her with pillows so she can't roll away. Put baby monitor on and don't wait until she is cryiv first movement go get her in case she has learnt to crawl in her sleep!

Mummyhug Wed 19-Oct-16 13:23:18

The crying isn't the problem Jane, as soon as I pick her up she's happy and will go back to sleep but I'm just not getting any time to get anything done in the house because she won't stay asleep when laid down for a nap. It's really frustrating.
We did have a swing that worked quite well but she's a very long baby and out grew it about a month ago.
And thank you for the suggestions penhacked, we actually have one of those Chicco next to me cribs so I might have to try putting her down to nap upstairs
X

BishopBrennansArse Wed 19-Oct-16 13:29:00

I remember it well, though my youngest is now 8. The needing to get things done but not being able to.
But oh do I miss cuddling them whilst asleep wink

Penhacked Wed 19-Oct-16 17:54:28

What i do is put the sling on to do jobs while ge is awake and then just let her sleep on me while i mumsnet and sleep! Its not easy so dot beat yourself up about it. Bet you are breastfeeding wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now