Talk

Advanced search

3wk Newborn head control... FTM horror!!!

(2 Posts)
Boatmum1 Thu 13-Oct-16 15:57:47

Hello!

Am a FTM with a 3 wk old boy- he's pretty big (born at 41 weeks) and very strong (remarked on by all care staff)- which is being attributed to my pregnancy gym routine and neurotic healthy diet (both of which have gone out the window PP obvi!)

My baby has quite a big head - which, in spite of all best attempts to stop him- he likes to fling about when he's fussy - often to a bizarre angle- or to use to head butt me with when he's on my chest... (he's got some wind issues that get him a bit upset- mainly due to my hose pipe like milk letdown ... currently trying the usual "remedies" to manage both)

Anyway- the point is- probably once a day- maybe twice - when he's over excited about another food time, or troubled by wind- he manages to contort himself or fling his head in such a way, that even though I catch it in my hand or the crook of my arm before it snaps right back, I worry the force of the "flop" is hurting him, and every time his head flops back (even into my hand) I feel like a completely terrible mother, whose baby is going to grow up with awful brain damage. (Shaken baby syndrome of course is the (ir)rational fear) And then I google all the ways his head and neck are fragile and feel even worse.

Is this a massive overreaction? Is the odd head loll of his own making going to do damage? And if it is, how on earth can I stop him doing it, without hurting him more?! (The force he exerts is considerable!)

Thanks mums....

Soubriquet Thu 13-Oct-16 15:59:59

He should be ok.

It does take a bit more force than a flop to have shaken baby syndrome

Try your best to support his head when you can though.

Do talk to your health visitor if you're worried

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now