Talk

Advanced search

2yo bath time problems

(9 Posts)
duckyisback Tue 11-Oct-16 19:38:22

My ds (coming up to 2yo) has always been a huge fan of the water. It was usually difficult to get him out the bath even if he'd been in there ages.

About 2/3 weeks back, literally overnight he changed and now he cannot stand baths. He screams and screams when your getting him undressed and then has a tantrum in the bath, he will not sit down at all and just wants to get straight out.

I have tried toys, no toys, bubbles, no bubbles, a shower instead, but nothing works.

I don't know if it's related, but the same day he started hating baths, he started having huge tantrums when going swimming. As soon as we get in the changing rooms he starts screaming, he's fine in the water at the pool and loves splashing about and doesn't want to get out, but as soon as we're back in the changing rooms he starts screaming again.

Has this happened with anyone else? Is there anything I can do to help him get used to baths again? Any advice?

It's so strange the way it's come on so suddenly hmm

SweepTheHalls Tue 11-Oct-16 19:45:13

We had a similar thing. A bubble machine with an empty bath encouraged him to get in and play and we built back up from there.

duckyisback Tue 11-Oct-16 20:14:06

Thanks sweep, did you start with keeping clothes on them and no water at all?

I have no idea what's caused him to go like this confused

Soubriquet Tue 11-Oct-16 20:16:12

I think they all go through it

Both of mine have

We've had to reduce baths to once or twice a week and just getting on with it and ignore the screams..

Dd is coming round to liking them again

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Tue 11-Oct-16 20:19:15

Cheerios in the floating toys??
My ds 2 has just discovered he loves the shower!!
So much less mess!

YokoUhOh Tue 11-Oct-16 20:19:40

I think it might be related to change of temperature - they don't fancy getting undressed because it's cold and they're comfy, then they don't fancy getting out because it's cold. It's quite a faff when you think about it, and toddlers probably feel like they don't have any control over it.

Alibobbob Tue 11-Oct-16 20:21:50

They all go through this phase. Luckily they get through it and start enjoying baths again until they are teenagers then turn into soap Dodgers once more x

duckyisback Tue 11-Oct-16 21:14:33

Thanks everyone, will try reducing baths as well. Although he loves being outside so gets really grubby grin

Hope it passes soon.

soundsystem Tue 11-Oct-16 22:28:11

We're just coming out of this phase. For a while, we coaxed her to sit on the edge of the bath and splash her feet. And then her knees ("if you're happy and you know it splash your knees!") and then her bum... So she at least for mostly wet before yelling to come out again.

Then my uncle gave her some rubber ducks that light up and now she likes baths again grin

(Although she's gone to bed wearing two nappies tonight as she couldn't decide between the giraffe one it the lion one, so there's always something...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now