Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed - bright child not comprehending things

(7 Posts)
Bettyboop2010 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:07:47

Hiya,

Firstly thanks for reading, I have a 6 year old...he is quite bright and doing very well with reading/writing. However he seems to be having problems comprehending what people are saying to him. Twice this week I have had people ask if there is something wrong with him. He just seems to stare at people blankly when they are giving instructions e.g at swimming, it was fun session and the teacher asked him if he wanted to play with his sister. He just stared at the teacher without answering, almost like he didn't understand what was being said. The same happened at a club today. I keep saying he is tired but I'm starting to worry something else is going on. I don't know if the 'blank' look is shyness or a real lack of comprehension. I believe his hearing is fine. Any suggestions? X

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 08-Oct-16 22:13:41

I don't want to worry you or jump to conclusions but could it be absence seizures. My boss used to have them and it sounds very much like what you just described though I don't know what caused them, if they can be treated/managed etc.

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Sat 08-Oct-16 22:15:37

Is this something new or something that has been happening for a while?

Have you had his hearing checked?

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 08-Oct-16 22:20:07

Or it could be processing issues. Go to your Gp and get a referral not just to the HV but a paed. Early intervention is the name of the game.

Bettyboop2010 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:30:31

I haven't had his hearing tested, it seems ok as he can often hear what's being said in another room. Just seems to be around direct instruction.

It's been getting worse and more noticeable the past 6 months.

NotCitrus Sat 08-Oct-16 23:01:43

Hearing exactly what is said when it's unexpected content and you weren't listening is very different from making a good guess when you are concentrating. If you have any concerns about behaviour it's good to rule out hearing problems especially as blocked ears (glue ear) is common at that age as well as intermittent.

What is his social interaction like in general? Dn with ASD gives the general impression of having usual levels of eye contact etc but just with 'his head in the clouds', not paying attention to what's going on.

Second getting referral to a paed to investigate.

WannaBeAWarhol Tue 11-Oct-16 14:29:38

My DS is 6 and is exactly the same, he's been getting worse over the last year. He then had a very noticable absence seizure over the summer holidays and we're waiting for an appointment to get tests done. I would never have thought that his lack of understanding or focus could have been absence seizures until this really big one happened. I agree you should speak to your gp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now