8 week old doesn't want to play!

(31 Posts)
MummaBear31 Fri 30-Sep-16 12:54:04

Hey everyone, I'm a new mum to a 8 week old beautiful boy and just wondered if it is normal that he isn't really interested in playing? He will lie on his mat and kick for a bit whilst looking at his toys but not for longer than 10 minutes. He also does tummy time and although he is really strong and able to life his head, he will get stroppy after a few minutes! He would rather just be held by us and either stare at our faces or the light! Is this normal??

Arfarfanarf Fri 30-Sep-16 12:55:16

Yes. Perfectly normal.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Fri 30-Sep-16 12:56:14

Totally normal. Playing will come ^months' down the line. At the moment he'll be tired out by ten minutes of stimulation. I don't think I bothered with tummy time until months later either. He's still essentially a newborn, stop sending him to baby gym grin

ElspethFlashman Fri 30-Sep-16 12:58:57

You'd better get patient, love. They do damn all before 4 months.

Caper86 Fri 30-Sep-16 12:59:46

Mine has only just started to even notice the toys at 15 weeks. It's all been a bit boring up til now!

MummaBear31 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:01:42

The health visitor said to increase tummy time but it just feels cruel when he doesn't like it that much! I'm sure my niece and nephew were the same but you are told so many conflicting things and I just want to do the best for him confused

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Fri 30-Sep-16 13:02:50

Honestly, health visitors will say things like this, but as you've seen, babies haven't read the manuals and aren't really into having their tiny faces smooshed into the rug.

HarleyQuinzel Fri 30-Sep-16 13:05:00

Completely normal, they do fuck all until about 6 months.

Don't worry about tummy time, yes make an effort but if he's not happy don't bother.

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Fri 30-Sep-16 13:05:13

Completely normal. He's 8 weeks old. Honestly everything you described above is really good. Try not to stress. Let him be a baby. Honestly until about a year he'd be happy with a wooden spoon and pan to bash.

Lindy2 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:08:00

At 8 weeks mine mostly just slept. Your baby has not long been born.

mouldycheesefan Fri 30-Sep-16 13:08:40

Is this a joke? Nobody can surely believe that 8 week old babies play 😂😂😂
Have you got that 0-5 years book the NHS give you? It has information in it about what babies can do at different stages. At 8 weeks they may be starting to smile. That's it.

ElspethFlashman Fri 30-Sep-16 13:09:15

Also remember that propping them against your shoulder so they gaze up at the lamp/plant/picture behind you is also tummy time. They extend their neck the same.

MummaBear31 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:13:46

It's not a joke, I was just asking advice. Of course I don't believe he is going to play like a toddler does but I was merely listening to my health visitor re tummy time and she also said he should start grabbing toys and things now! Clearly I shouldn't be listening to her. sad

MrsNuckyThompson Fri 30-Sep-16 13:16:08

At 8 weeks all they do is sleep, eat and occasionally look around. It is pretty boring and they don't play properly for months and months yet!!!

WordGetsAround Fri 30-Sep-16 13:17:52

They don't need much at this stage. Enjoy it.

MooseAndSquirrel Fri 30-Sep-16 13:21:00

Both my girls hated tummy time so I didn't force it on them.
Take what the HV says as more a guideline suggestion than golden rules - all babies are different

MoreGilmoreGirls Fri 30-Sep-16 13:21:07

He's 8 weeks to him kicking on his mat is playing, he's exploring his own body and how it works. Don't stress over tummy time it's not necessary. Just enjoy watching him do his thing smile

fruitatthebottom Fri 30-Sep-16 13:21:54

Like others have said don't worry yet, they are all different and some are more alert and awake for larger parts of the day than others at this age. DS 3 (who is now a toddler) did nothing but sleep until he was 12 weeks old, he would literally be awake for 20 mins after a feed then go straight to sleep again. I remember getting really worried that he was too sleepy, now I realise I should have made the most of it as he never stops now and hasn't had a daytime nap since he was 14 months!

Arfarfanarf Fri 30-Sep-16 13:24:09

Don't take health visitor's words as gospel. Some are fab but others? Well, the stuff they come out with would really test your pelvic floor!

Your best bet is to read the experiences of other parents. On here and / or elsewhere.

Baby books are really only good for hitting spiders with.

scarednoob Fri 30-Sep-16 16:53:37

oh god yes, totally normal. I have pics of poor tiny DD with toys draped on her - she had no idea what was going on!!

when your baby is about 3 months they might start batting at things, and even then you won't know for sure that they are doing it on purpose.

even at 1, my DD prefers emptying my handbag, my shoes, her dad's stinky trainers, the bookshelf, the curtain tie back and anything she shouldn't have over her toys!

scarednoob Fri 30-Sep-16 16:54:33

also DD hated tummy time and it really worried me that I didn't make her do it. as soon as she learned to roll, she did tummy time all by herself, and now chooses to sleep like that!

PacificDogwod Fri 30-Sep-16 16:56:49

Totally normal.

They don't 'play' as such.
Talk to him, sing to him, touch him, let him see you do stuff - that's 'playing' when you are a couple of months old smile

Tummy time? Yes, it's great to strengthen neck muscles etc, but some babies hate it with a vengeance. I think DS1 spent a grand total of 3 seconds on his front his entire babyhood wink - he absolutely detested it. He's now 13 and his neck muscles are just fine.... grin

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Fri 30-Sep-16 17:43:48

Ah health visitors.... My dd loved tummy time my boy hated it. Both are now equally mobile now.

In fairness to you OP I was totally ignorant of all things baby when dd came and I remember thinking about whether she should be playing or doing something when she was 4 weeks old.

gamerwidow Fri 30-Sep-16 17:51:01

OP you're doing fine. Babies don't do much for the first 3 months. Sticking him on his tummy for a few minutes a day is good if he likes it but don't worry about it if he doesn't want to do it.

Backingvocals Fri 30-Sep-16 17:56:24

This has reminded me - I ran all round town trying to buy toys that would engage poor DD. I even thought her activity centre thing was not exciting enough and added more bits and bobs to it to try to get her playing. Poor lamb - she was just trying to do what babies do which is lie down and try to focus grin. I have pictures of her at her first Christmas when she was 10 weeks old. Obviously I'd gone nuts trying to make it special. In every picture she's slumped in my arms looking vacant whilst I look unhinged grin

Do not give this another thought OP. Your lovely boy is doing great. Looking at faces is their idea of a good time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now