Talk

Advanced search

5yo tantrumming when reprimanded

(4 Posts)
millionsofpeaches Fri 30-Sep-16 09:18:01

This is not a one off, but is an extreme example. Need some help/perspective.

This morning on the school run I had to speak to my 5yo dd about scooting top far ahead so that I couldn't see her. I was calm, got down on her level and asked her to stop at corners. She then scooted onto far again and round a corner, so when I caught up with her I tried to talk to her again. She ran off and hid and started to cry and stamp her feet. She did come to me after a minute or so and I told her I wasn't angry,but it was important that she didn't go too far ahead and gave her a big hug. She threw her cycle helmet on the ground and screamed intermittently all the way to school then had an almighty screaming meltdown at the school door and I had to physically lift her up and carry her into school.

I feel like I have caused this somehow. She is a lovely, kind girl, but is very sensitive. Am I making her into a spoiled madam who can't handle being told off (not that it was really a telling off). How should I deal with this? What can I do to help her deal with being told off?

Also, just had a phone call from school to say she's fine now. I told the man who called that she was only upset because I had told her off for scooting too far ahead and it wasn't initially a going into school problem. Will that now ring alarm bells? She was really seriously upset at the door. Will they be thinking I'm abusing her?! Argh!

Help please!

worriedmum100 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:17:46

No advice I'm afraid as my 5 year old DS is the same. Very sensitive to being told off in anyway and gets disproportionately upset when he makes minor mistakes. School have raised it with us too. I'm going to try and use positive reinforcementioned as much as I can, repeat endlessly that making facilities mistakes is how we learn etc. But I expect also got a star chart and am going to try and encourage him by having a "I didn't cry today" category but it's hard as I don't want him to think that it's not OK to cry!

Hope it's OK if I hang out in case someone wise cones along..... grin

worriedmum100 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:18:49

Sorry for the numerous typos!

millionsofpeaches Fri 30-Sep-16 16:53:47

Thanks for replying! Glad to know she's not the only one anyway. I hadn't thought of explaining how mistakes are a way of learning. I will try that. Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now