Talk

Advanced search

5 year old having toilet accidents after sibling has potty trained

(4 Posts)
SatsukiKusakabe Sun 25-Sep-16 13:06:17

Has anyone any experience of this?

Ds has just started back to school. Coincidentally his younger sibling 2.8 has just toilet trained - very quickly and fairly easily over the space of a fortnight. (Ds himself trained much later and it was a struggle. We have not made any comparisons, but wonder if he remembers)

Ds, having been largely accident free for 2 years, had a wetting "accident" the day before he started back - but more like he just stood there and did it ifyswim. Then we've had two more wee accidents at home. One standing in the hall next to the bathroom, saying it was too far for him to get to. Also a couple of poo accidents at school where he got caught short - we had a word with teacher, teacher reassured him, all seemed fine.

How would you deal with this? I've been ignoring it/not making too much fuss but trying to give him positive attention for other things, but worried about it becoming a 'thing'. We had some other concerns about him last year that I don't want to go into here, but just wondering if this is 'normal' adjustment or whether it's a sign something else is wrong (emotionally)?

Lifeisshort123 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:21:37

It was be because he's nervous at school but I am unsure about why he is having accidents at home. I wouldn't just ignore it if it seems like it's not an absolute mistake. Perhaps try saying something alone the lines of "DS it's very dirty to wet yourself as your a big boy now." DS is 5 and we haven't had an accident for 2.5 years now. Remind him to use the toliet regularly and if this doesn't stop in the next few weeks I'd contact the school as ask there advice. Good luck. smileflowers

Lifeisshort123 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:23:00

I would check everything is ok at school though.

SatsukiKusakabe Mon 26-Sep-16 10:04:04

Thank you. I had a chat at bedtime and asked if anything was worrying him and he said yes but doesn't know what. Going to ask teacher to keep an eye and be a bit firmer about making sure he doesn't wait if it happens again.

I thought we were done with this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now