3.5 year old doesn't want to potty train?

(7 Posts)
SarcasmMode Mon 12-Sep-16 19:22:23

My daughter doesn't want to use the potty. She says she wants to keep using nappies and gets upset if I ask her to use the potty.

I've tried her a few times in the last year but she doesn't want to - any tips on getting her to or any insights why she doesn't want to?

SarcasmMode Mon 12-Sep-16 19:23:24

As in, she uses the potty a few times but really fights it.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Mon 12-Sep-16 19:24:41

DD was a bit like this because she was really scared of weeing on the floor. We read lots of books about it and did a reward chart with some good prizes along the way and she was v quick to get it in the end

AppleJac Mon 12-Sep-16 19:26:46

A sticker chart worked wonders for us

Francescaestee Mon 12-Sep-16 19:28:51

Yes I had this problem, mine has just come out of nappies 2 weeks ago and she is 3.6 months. She wanted nappies she cried used pull ups for 6 months. People said take nappies away, but she would just pee everywhere. 2 weeks ago it just clicked, made a sticker chart and got her a big gift for doing a week of wee wees in the potty. And got a prize for poos (pack of stickers etc) she (touch wood) has finally got it. I thought she would be in nappies forever! She woke up one day ready. No more tears about nappies. I'm sure your little one will be the same x

SarcasmMode Mon 12-Sep-16 19:52:42

Really reassuring thanks all - will look at sticker charts to see if that makes it any better.

MiaowTheCat Tue 13-Sep-16 13:38:40

I've resorted to taking advantage of Tesco's crappy stock situation - taking her and telling her she needed a number 6 nappy in the red pack and look - there aren't any there so we need to say bye bye to nappies. (I knew our Tesco ran out fairly regularly though). Resorted to buying her the posh character-emblazoned pull ups for night time only - which obviously in her mind were really really different.

Still getting there - but the empty nappy shelf stunt worked in terms of her realising she did not have the nice easy option of sitting in nappies forever! We're still pooing on the potty but hey ho it's preferable to shit all over her knickers!

DD2 is the little sod who, when I bigged up not wanting to get her new Paw Patrol pants wet because Skye and Everest don't want to be weed on - asked for Zuma pants as he's the water pup so wouldn't mind - which gives you some idea of the criminal mastermind I'm up against here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now