Advanced search

Anyone knows a good psychologist for a 6 year old?

(9 Posts)
user1473155642 Tue 06-Sep-16 12:26:50


I am experiencing serious difficulties with the father of my child, who I no longer reside with and been through a lot. He is asking our son, age 6, to lie to me to cover for what he does when my son is with him. My son is also scared to tell me anything as previously I tried to raise issues with his father to find a solution and stop these parctices, but instead of stopping he would tell our son that it is his fault and not to tell me anything. This is sterssing my son so much and I cannot think of an outocome not to put him in the middle of this. I am desperate now and though that maybe a children's psychologist might be a solution.

Could you please let me know if there is someone you can advise? I am based in West London.

Thank you,

plimsolls Tue 06-Sep-16 12:31:49

First port of call should be asking for a referral to CAMHS via your GP and also to Educational Paychologist though your child's school.

As I'm sure some posters will tell you, people have varying amounts of success with CAMHS/Local Authority EPs but it will help you in the long run to have "official" records of you asking for referrals from public sector psychologists as these people are more linked in to wider systems which will prove helpful if issues with your ex escalate.

If you then (or as well as) want to engage an independent psychologist, you could try using the British Psychological Society register of psychologists. I think this is available online or you can call them and ask where to access it.

Make sure any psychologist you use is HCPC registered.

FifiFerusha Tue 06-Sep-16 13:37:47

Just read this post and really feel for you. Do you think the solution needs to come from the father? Does he not realise the effects of his actions? Is there a third party who is supportive of the father( not that he should get any) who he may listen too. Just wondering if the idea that your son has to see a person he doesn't know and talk to may stress him out more and make him feel more to blame. I maybe wrong though. It maybe worth while mentioning the issues to his school to see if they can put some support in place. It will be a familiar place and people. I wish you all the best of luck. This must be really hard for you x x x x

user1473155642 Tue 06-Sep-16 16:56:47

Thank you for your help and support. I wish it was possible to deal with this differently, but everything I tried is making my son feel worse. I am very worried he will stop speaking to me and I will never know what is actually going on. Just yesterday he told me that daddy spanked him and he was crying as it hurt. I now think maybe social services are the way forward. This is a nightmare!

ImperialBlether Tue 06-Sep-16 17:01:42

Definitely social services now. This man could cause lasting damage to your son. I would want any contact to be supervised, tbh.

FifiFerusha Tue 06-Sep-16 22:17:52

I agree. It is a shame that it has come to this. I hope you can work through this x x sending lots of thoughts your way x x

user1473155642 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:47:09

Thank you.

This is a worrying thing to do to involve social services, did you have any such experience in your life?


Kariana Fri 09-Sep-16 10:51:25

Definitely refer to ss as soon as possible, if it comes out at school there could be repercussions for you for not protecting him when you knew it was happening. Call ss now and also ask the school for a meeting, they should hopefully be well placed to advise.

PacificOcean Sun 11-Sep-16 08:51:13

I can recommend the Tavistock centre in north west London. Good luck OP flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now