Talk

Advanced search

5yo Won't Eat

(7 Posts)
StrawbRhi Tue 06-Sep-16 10:36:19

So, I'm not sure this can even be classed as a 'problem' but it is certainly driving me mad!

DD is 5, 6 in Dec and for the last 6 months will not eat a full meal. This is fine (ish), DH and I will never make her finish everything on her plate but insist she eats a good amount of everything. She is not fussy in the slightest, loves things that most 5 year olds won't touch like olives, asaparagus, quark, spinach salads etc so we're lucky in that regard.

The issue lies with not eating what she's asked for. Requests can be really specific like 'a chicken roll, with spinach and chard but not rocket and a little bit of mayonnaise' to 'I would really like chicken casserole for dinner tonight' but then will NOT eat them! I know she likes these things and she's really keen but then it just sits there for an inordinate amount of time pushing it around looking miserable. This morning was a request for egg and soldiers, and we talked about her eating what she's asked for but once again she just ignored the egg, eventually declaring that she 'didn't know eggs tasted like that' (she bloody well does. It's a staple at grandmas).

She wasn't eating her school lunches or dinners last year and so we got her involved in choosing what she ate and that worked well for a while. At home we like to involve her in meal planning, preparing the meal, shopping for it etc as she enjoys it but the outcome is always the same. She'll insist she likes the food, that she wants it etc but just won't eat it! This doesn't just apply to home cooked 'healthy' meals but also to Happy Meals, Ice creams at the beach and baking cakes and cookies. Left alone she would eat just a slice of toast, a banana and a handful of vegetable pasta all day.

How can I get her to eat, without completely removing her control? It's hard enough to be 5 without even having a say over what you eat but the waste alone is making me see red.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 06-Sep-16 10:39:07

Do you give her an alternative?

Closetlibrarian Tue 06-Sep-16 10:40:53

My 3yo does this, to a certain extent. I wonder whether it's too much choice? And they just end up picking something to pick something, if you see what I mean.

I had a word with DD about this after breakfast today as yet again she didn't eat the thing she'd asked for (Weatabix). So I told that she needs to choose more carefully as otherwise we'll take the choice away altogether and she can have the same thing every morning like her baby brother does (porridge).

Would giving her a choice of two things work?

YokoUhOh Tue 06-Sep-16 10:46:16

I agree with PP, too much choice, she's overwhelmed. She's naming different types of leaves - just give her an assortment and let her leave what she doesn't fancy.

DS1 survives on fresh air some days - does your DD eat lots one day and not at all the next? This is also normal, or so I've heard.

StrawbRhi Tue 06-Sep-16 10:48:43

I did wonder about too much choice!

I always give her a choice of two things ie: cereal or toast for each meal. Occasionally I'll ask her what she wants to see what she comes up with and sometimes she'll just ask for specific things. So in response to cereal or toast she'll ask for porridge. I'll oblige if I can!

I get that being little can be frustrating so try to offer her a voice where I can.

StrawbRhi Tue 06-Sep-16 10:52:19

yokouhoh the leaves one was bizzare. I bought bagged salad and just served it up but she really hated the rocket (can't blame her) so was quite specific that I picked it out! She likes to know what everything is, (just in case it was hidden rocket!) hence why she knew what the other leaves were.

YokoUhOh Tue 06-Sep-16 18:34:43

OP when DS1 doesn't fancy what's on offer, I do a kind-of buffet, so cheese, tomato, cucumber, bits of fruit, bread of some description, some chicken or ham. Toddlers appreciate the variety and it stops them whining! Does this sound feasible?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now