Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried about my DD's (age 9) teeth grinding while she sleeps?

(7 Posts)
nilly1306 Mon 05-Sep-16 23:40:59

My DD sometimes grinds her teeth while she sleeps. The dentist says there is no damage to her teeth. Should I be worried about this? Is it a sign of some psychological problem she may be going through?

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Tue 06-Sep-16 06:42:47

I've always done this and still do, and I'm pleased to report I'm generally a happy person with no major issues grin

It did start to damage my teeth though, so I now wear a mouth guard type thing made by my dentist to protect my teeth at night. I have a couple of friends who do the same, so I think it's quite common.

nilly1306 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:36:59

Thank you for that. It has put my main nd at rest😊.

Fitzsimmons Tue 06-Sep-16 22:21:26

Hi, i thought I'd add to this as I'm a serial grinder. I don't want you to worry but I have serious jaw problems now as a result. I'm in constant pain, though I've learned to live with it. My dentist described it as a permanent sprain thanks to my teeth grinding and my jaw is in a continuous spasm (I can't hold it still). I know this is extreme so please don't think your daughter will end up like me, but I think it's important to note that it's not always harmless.

nilly1306 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:25:32

Thank you for your comment Fitzsimmons. I will bear that in mind. I hope it doesn't come to that with my daughter (I say, as I bite my nails bare).

Blossominspring Thu 08-Sep-16 09:52:54

Hello OP, I grind my teeth at night too (think it's really common) and I wear a gum shield when I sleep to help protect my teeth as they can become quite worn and damaged over time. Might be worth having another chat with your daughter's dentist if it carries on?

PJ67 Thu 08-Sep-16 23:16:50

Hi. I grind my teeth and so does my 9 yr old ds. I have worn my teeth a bit on one side and the dentist gave me a gum shield but I don't really use it much. I don't have any haw problems or pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now