Talk

Advanced search

My daughter is secretive over time of month

(23 Posts)
helbel123 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:39:02

Hello, my daughter is secretive over the time of month, I always have to ask if she's regular ect... She is 16!is this normal

BIWI Sun 28-Aug-16 21:40:48

Yes, I think you'll find that you're hideously intrusive. This is assuming that you even exist at all

reallyanotherone Sun 28-Aug-16 21:41:31

Ffs.

Get out of her business. Her body. You're not respecting her boundaries or privacy, whichvis probably why she doesn't tell you.

Why do you need to know anyway? She's 16, it's not as if you need to help her with it.

Emz449 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:41:32

Yes, maybe she doesn't want to talk about it! I certainly didn't with my mother smile

FathomsDeep Sun 28-Aug-16 21:43:21

I think it is fairly normal, yes. I was mortified by my periods as a teenager. I was intensely private hated anyone to know I was on as I just found the whole thing embarrassing.

My mum respected this and never asked! She discreetly made sure I always had enough towels by leaving them in my bedroom for me but beyond that, she never said a word.

Is there any particular reason you need to know if her periods are regular?

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sun 28-Aug-16 21:43:29

Why does it matter? At 16 I didn't feel the need to tell my parents full cycle details.

Sounds like maybe she's embarrassed by your questioning to be honest.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 28-Aug-16 21:43:54

It's the 28th hmm

Call it a period.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 28-Aug-16 21:44:15

Why on earth do you need to know?! confused It's naff all to do with you!

Shootingstar2289 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:45:21

Hormones affect us all differently. I am 24 and feel a bit like that too when it's my time of the month. I cannot explain it. When 'I'm on' it feels like I'm trapped in some kind of bubble that I cannot get out off. I do have two children so I have to keep going for them.

It's weird. When I'm on, the thought of going out the door makes me so anxious and tearful. I am a stay at home mum and live in the middle of nowhere. I like to go out places but I feel like getting myself and the kids ready as well as getting the house in order is too much in that one week. So often me and the kids snuggle up and watch films and play in the garden until my oh gets home from work. I also get moody with him when I'm on. Which I feel guilty about afterwards.

Give your daughter the space she needs and I'm sure she will be fine! smile

pinkyredrose Sun 28-Aug-16 21:45:51

What? Do you share your cycle with her or are you constantly suspecting her of being pregnant?

eyebrowsonfleek Sun 28-Aug-16 21:47:54

Are you the 16 year old? It's none of your mum's business unless you need help contacting a gp to discuss any changes to your periods.

Cookingongas Sun 28-Aug-16 21:49:19

How do you know she's secretive unless your being intrusive? I've never asked/cared about whether another woman is menstruating.

Zippidydoodah Sun 28-Aug-16 21:49:23

Leave her alone!!

dontpokethebear Sun 28-Aug-16 21:50:25

Urgh. You sound just like my mum. By the time I was 16, I would do anything to make sure I was not left alone with my mother, who I do love dearly, but who would seize any opportunity to ask me personal questions.

NerrSnerr Sun 28-Aug-16 21:53:41

I hated it when my mum asked about my periods. Just leave her to it.

RockyBird Sun 28-Aug-16 21:55:08

Not your business.

jellycat1 Sun 28-Aug-16 21:57:14

Oh my God being asked if I was regular at 16 by my mum would have been my idea of the seventh circle of hell. Yabvvvvu.

RitaConnors Sun 28-Aug-16 22:03:03

Sixteen! Yabu.

When I started my period, my mother told me that she kept track of hers by putting a star on the calendar. I suppose I will tell my dd about the endless apps that are available, as that's what I use myself now. But that will be the end of it.

Caken Sun 28-Aug-16 22:31:34

Why do you even need to know? I'd imagine if she's not wanting to share the info with you that she's coping fine and doesn't need your input...

I'd have found it pretty intrusive if someone asked me when my period was due and made a bit of an issue over it tbh.

Fairylea Sun 28-Aug-16 22:33:38

Are you asking her?! Surely it's up to her if she wants to share it or not!

2ndSopranosRule Mon 29-Aug-16 12:27:30

My dm recoded my periods on the fecking household calendar. I hated her for that. She got rather stressed when I went to university and it meant I would have to record my own menstrual cycle.

I'm in my late 30s and still she asks about the regularity of my periods. She cannot understand why she cannot see 'p29' on my calendar. She'd have a field day if she knew I suspect I'm perimenopausal.

If you value your relationship with your dd at all, please leave her be!!!!

BIWI Mon 29-Aug-16 12:47:07

Just a heads up

I reported this thread, and according to the email I received, MNHQ have banned this OP.

Witchend Mon 29-Aug-16 12:53:02

Dd1 is 15yo and I only know what she chooses to tell me. Which isn't usually anything other than a quick squiggle of "Always" on the shopping list. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now